• Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Kirby’s Shed: 7. WD Sander+

And now on to the stuff in the middle of the Shed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ks07Plan.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	790545

The small bench is the only "wood" item I didn't make. At the time I moved from the old garage into the new Shed, this happened to come on sale for (about) US$100! I couldn't even buy the vises for that. I enclosed it all and added a shelf/door etc.

It ended up being an ideal home for my CMS (only for cutting aluminum).

BTW Wherever you see cabinets wired, the black receptacle is Power-in (from an extension lead). The white socket is to plug in the Shopvac. It gives me a single on/off switch to both the tool and the Shopvac.

Name:	ks0701.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	790546Click image for larger version

Name:	ks0706.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	790547

Name:	ks0703.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	790548Click image for larger version

Name:	ks0705.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	790549

This cabinet has 1/8" clear acrylic sides and (obviously), gets moved when I use the Bandsaw (blue Kreg fence).

Name:	ks0702.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	790550Click image for larger version

Name:	ks0704.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	790551
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

I am really enjoying your shop tour! It has inspired me to clean (deeply) and organize my shop. I have a lot to do this summer and you have certainly given me a lot of great ideas!

I have a 16" dual drum sander with (2) 4" DC ports which is about 5ft from my cyclone with a dedicated line running to it. It is still my biggest dust problem.

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I keep telling myself, "someday my shop will be neat and clean, someday my shop will be neat and clean, someday...."

Thanks for sharing all the photos and comments Kirby. Looks like a joy to work in.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• ejs1097
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I've been enjoying and looking forward to your next tour all the way around you shop. Thanks Rod.

Did you wire your recepticles to work with your shop vac? Can you share some how-tos and what you used to do this? Woodcraft has a duel plug on sale for $20 for this purpose. I believe the shovac will come on when the tool is turned on and stay on for 7 seconds. That can add up for each station quickly.
        Eric
        Be Kind Online

Comment

• DonHo
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman 21829

I believe the shovac will come on when the tool is turned on and stay on for 7 seconds. That can add up for each station quickly.
          I'm interested to hear Rod's answer too, however I can tell you how I handled this problem in my small shop. I have the Sears switch which does the same thing. I plug this switch into the wall socket(middle of back wall) then a heavy extension cord into the main plug on the switch then the dust collector into one of the controled sockets. With this setup any tool that I plug into the extension cord will control the dust collection. Of course I have a small shop and 10' extension cord will reach any of my tools.
          This is a link to an article on how to set this up, I just changed the setup so that the Sears switch plugs into the wall socket then the power cord into the switch. It works well for me.

DonHo
          Don

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

I assume that outboard support on the sander is to prevent deflection? Were you having issues without it?

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Rod, I will also add my appreciation for you shop tour. Thanks.

I'm always interested in ideas for making things co-planar. How did you get your drum sander and assembly table on the same plane?

JR
              JR

Comment

• Tom H
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2006

I've been amazed looking at pictures of your shop. That really looks like a great place to create....whatever.

Tom

Comment

• RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

DonHo: I simply wire both the Tool and another socket (white), to the power input (black); controlled by a single switch.

bthere: No real issues - It's for when I need to sand something wide - it makes me feel better that its there

JR: I planned it that way (I built the WDS base)

Comment

• djenkins
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Jacksonville, Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Rod,

What do you finish your MDF shop cabinets with?
                    --Derrick

Comment

• movnup
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • Seattle
                      • BT3000

Great tour, beautiful set up, I'm building some things for the shop using your ideas already ....

I did have a couple of questions as follows:

1) In your recent shots it looks like green plaid covers over the tools in the pictures versus blue gingham which you have upfront. I went out and bought a whole bolt of blue gingham and am learning how to sew to follow your example .... how does that effect the light reflection and your final cuts / sanding techniques???

2) I was going to send you a PM on this but I wanted to make sure that I was still in your will and you're coming to the family reunion in Seattle. I'm sure you remember the very old family story where the Kirby's went left on the Pacific ocean on one big boat and the Zimmerman's went right on the other boat up to Seattle.

If that doen't fly very far I'm sure one of your 7000 closest friends on BT3 Central must be related somehow????

Seriously, you should submit these photos and how you built the various projects to the major woodworking magazines as this was obviously a true labor of love and you have set a high standard for others to learn from and follow in your very talented footsteps!!!

Comment

• big tim
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                        • SawStop PCS

Beautiful shop, Rod.
                        Man, do I have a long way to go.
                        Thanks very much for the tour.
                        Now I feel so inadequate, sob, sob!

Tim
                        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by djenkins
                          Rod,

What do you finish your MDF shop cabinets with?
                          A single brush-on coat of this:
                          http://www.wattyl.com.au/DIY/Product...ils.htm?Id=720

Stops finger prints

On horizontal surfaces (likely to have something placed on them), I give it 3 coats.
                          Last edited by RodKirby; 04-26-2007, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• RodKirby
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

movnup "I did have a couple of questions as follows:

1) In your recent shots it looks like green plaid covers over the tools in the pictures versus blue gingham which you have upfront. I went out and bought a whole bolt of blue gingham and am learning how to sew to follow your example .... how does that effect the light reflection and your final cuts / sanding techniques??? Green plaid: needs more light and sanding. Blue gingham: less light but I need to ensure the squares are aligned or the cuts come out crooked

2) I was going to send you a PM on this but I wanted to make sure that I was still in your will and you're coming to the family reunion in Seattle. I'm sure you remember the very old family story where the Kirby's went left on the Pacific ocean on one big boat and the Zimmerman's went right on the other boat up to Seattle. Dang! The Kirby's were on the run at that point - you don't have to tell everyone. Keep this up and you will be out of my will! (Sorry - can't make the reunion)

If that doen't fly very far I'm sure one of your 7000 closest friends on BT3 Central must be related somehow???? I don't think so!

I'm just hoping that the stuff I post will give you guys some ideas - like I get ideas from everyone else. That's why we're all here - I think

Comment

• RodKirby
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by big tim
                              Beautiful shop, Rod.
                              Man, do I have a long way to go.
                              Thanks very much for the tour.
                              Now I feel so inadequate, sob, sob!

Tim
                              Tim: Get a grip! "different strokes for different folks"

Comment

Working...