• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burrellski
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Saint Joseph, MO.

Dust collector plumbing.... Flex hose to PVC

Based much on the advice of everyone on the forum, I brought home a truckload of 4" S&D PVC and some JET brand black flex hose to hook up my new HF DC. Problem is, I can't get the JET hose over the PVC. Many people have stated they were able to stretch the flex hose over the PVC after removing a few wraps of the reinforcing wire, but the JET hose does not have a seperate wire. Its a molded in part of the plastic and can't be removed. Any ideas on how to connect the PVC and flex cheaply? I know Woodcraft has some connectors, but they are pretty pricey. I got 10' of the flex hose for $12 at Menards, so I would like to be able to use it instead of $25 plus shipping at Rockler for the kind with the wire.

Any ideas?
  • Papa
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Williamsburg, VA
    • Ryobi BT3000

Flex hose to PVC

I've had luck with using a heat gun to soften the flex hose.

Warren

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

PVC pipe usualy has joint connectors wherein one can join 2 pieces of pipe together. The flex tube should be able to fit inside of one of those. Then maybe some construction type adhesive to hold the flex tube in the pipe joint piece then some duct tape to make sure its sealed up. Just an idea.

sparkeyjames

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I mostly have my blast gates at that junction. The blast gate will fit inside the pipe on one side and inside the flex on the other.

JR
        JR

Comment

• softop41
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Plainfield, IL, USA.
          • BT3100-1

burrellski,
          I found a PCV adapter at Menard's, called a 3" x 4", that works(be careful not to get a 4" x 3"...DAMHIKT ). It has a 3" male end that you clamp the flex tube on and the other end is 4" to slip onto the 4" PVC. I use two short sheet metal screws in the 4" joint to prevent slippage; my tubing fit well enough that I don't have any leakage. Be sure the screws don't protrude much. if any, into the inside of the tubing or they can catch stuff and start a blockage.
          HTH,
          Jerry
          Jerry
          Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

This is what I use ...

It is a DC hose-to-hose union. I slip one end into the hose and the other INTO 4" sewer & drain PVC. Available at Woodcraft, Rockler, Amazon, Delta, etc. I use spring clamps to secure the hose. (re: price -- I bought a bunch on close out at Lowes a few years ago for ~$1.50 each)

I have a 1hp DC, so my shop is not plumbed with PVC. I connect only one tool at a time. I made uniform outlets for each tool from PVC. I press-fit the DC union into the PVC outlet, then disconnect to move to another machine.

Here are some other connectors from Woodcraft that may better suit your needs for a permanent connection. One end slips into the hose; the other slips OVER the PVC.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5815

- Lonnie
            Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 04-09-2007, 08:37 AM.
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• ExYankee
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Pleasant View, Tn.
              • BT3100-frankensaw

I used what Lonnie showed to transition from 4” flex to 4” S&D and just duct taped the black to white junction, I then ran 2 ½” hose up to my tools using a 4”Odx 2/1/2” ID in wood donut made from a 2x6 and turned on the lathe. I wetted the inside of the donut and gave a generous coat of Gorilla Glue to the 2 ½” and it foamed and sealed just fine.
              John Dyer
              ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• burrellski
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Saint Joseph, MO.

Originally posted by Papa
                I've had luck with using a heat gun to soften the flex hose.

Warren
                I tried using a hair dryer with no luck. I had it pretty warm, but maybe a heat gun would work better. Seemed like the heat from the hair dryer had no effect on the spiral reinforcement.

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                PVC pipe usualy has joint connectors wherein one can join 2 pieces of pipe together. The flex tube should be able to fit inside of one of those. Then maybe some construction type adhesive to hold the flex tube in the pipe joint piece then some duct tape to make sure its sealed up. Just an idea.

sparkeyjames
                I tried this over lunch. After much struggling and a little frustration, I was able to get the flex inside the end of a fitting. If I could figure out a way to secure it and make sure it doesn't leak, I think we'll be in business.

What would you use to secure it? Silicone? I'm imagining the mess I would make trying to force the flex inside the fitting with silicone smeared all over it. It was not an easy task w/out the adhesive. Maybe another bead around the outside to seal it? I would like to avoid duct tape if possible. Rod I am not, but I'd still like it to look as neat as possible.

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

The wire is molded into the clear flex hose I got from Woodcrafters too. I used a box cutter to carefully slit the hose on top of the wire being careful not to cut through to the inside of the hose. This allowed me to remove the wire. I then used a hair dryer to heat the hose and stretch it onto the S&D. added a 4" hose clamp to make sure it stayed and it has worked fine.
                  John Hunter

Comment

• Popeye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Woodbine, Ga
                    • Grizzly 1023SL

The easiest way to do it is to use the 4" pvc pipe to pipe connectors and the DC hose quick disconnects shown above. Pat
                    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Tom Miller
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by burrellski
                      I got 10' of the flex hose for $12 at Menards, so I would like to be able to use it instead of $25 plus shipping at Rockler for the kind with the wire.
                      Yikes! I had to double check the Rockler price for flex....I guess I've been getting mine when it's on the somewhat frequent half-price sale.

But, I've got to say, the Rockler/Woodcraft flex hose with PVC is the zen of DC plumbing. Maybe after you kludge together something for now, you might keep an eye out for the next sale.

Also, note that the flex to PVC fittings are sometimes for schedule 20, not schedule 35 or 40, and the cost will get you right back to the cost of clear flex and a couple hose clamps.

Regards,
                      Tom
                      Last edited by Tom Miller; 04-09-2007, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• axa
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2007

Where do you get this flex hose attaching the tool and PVC for a decent price on the net.
                        The stuff I see for vacuums at the local stores are outrageou$.

Id like to have dedicated outlets for each station, with BS, TS, RT, MS, jointer... it adds up.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Twin Cities, MN
                          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by axa
                          Where do you get this flex hose attaching the tool and PVC for a decent price on the net.
                          Well, that's the beauty of the right flex hose and PVC. The clear, 4" wire-reinforced flex hose from Woodcraft/Rockler will fit snugly over the 4" schedule 35 (sewer&drain) PVC. The PVC, in turn, fits onto the 4" dust ports of many tools.

Regards,
                          Tom

Comment

• hermit
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by softop41
                            burrellski,
                            I found a PCV adapter at Menard's, called a 3" x 4", that works(be careful not to get a 4" x 3"...DAMHIKT ). It has a 3" male end that you clamp the flex tube on and the other end is 4" to slip onto the 4" PVC. I use two short sheet metal screws in the 4" joint to prevent slippage; my tubing fit well enough that I don't have any leakage. Be sure the screws don't protrude much. if any, into the inside of the tubing or they can catch stuff and start a blockage.
                            HTH,
                            Jerry
                            I've found these at Lowes also and have been using them with all my connections. They work great, you just need a hose clamp. You lose a little diameter on the inside, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference for me. Before that, I would use the 4" to 4" sleeves and fit the hose inside. How to secure it?......... lots of duct tape.

Todd

Comment

Working...