• Show
Clear All
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Is your air filtration good enough?

With all the construction of and ads and links to air filtration systems and particulate removal systems. It got me thinking about this more than just a little bit. Knowing that there are all kinds of chemicals in some wood products (MDF and glue comes to mind) and that those chemicals can be sprayed off of a wood cutting aparatice (table saw, band saw etc) attached to the fine particles.
    Not to mention that fine wood particles can be dangerous if exposed to enough of it over a period of time. Also some species of wood in and of themselves can contain toxic chemicals.
    I did some research and found this very comprehensive article from the inventor of the Cyclone air systems device. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...m#MedicalRisks
    The information in this article to my thinking is not alarmist though some might think it so. It seems to be based on some sound information both from his doctor and the federal governments guidlines on airborn particulate safety. So after reading this and looking at your good ol cat scareator 4000 my questions are... Is your particulate filtration good enough?
    Do you also wear a breathing resperator filter when cutting wood products?

sparkeyjames
    Last edited by sparkeyjames; 04-08-2007, 06:43 PM.
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Hi Sparkeyjames,

This is an issue that has been discussed more times than I know of ... if you do a search on this forum for any related to Bill Pentz, you'll find multiple threads discussing and debating what is good enough and required ...
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for pointing this out. Although I did a good google search I neglected to search this forum for info. DOH.

jim
      Last edited by sparkeyjames; 04-08-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• softop41
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Plainfield, IL, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Sparkey,
        You will find many variations of what's good enough here. Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford vs. what you can live with(at least 'till the budget allows better). In short, figure out a way to collect the discharge from every machine(such as a SharkGuard w/ dust collection on the tablesaw), wear a mask for some 'dirty' operations, and filter the rest out of the shop air somehow. Dust collectors with filtration that pass 5 microns or less, and preferably only 1 micron, are best; the rest are nothing more than 'dust pumps'. Chips and sawdust are the obvious thing to collect but smaller stuff is far more important.
        One valuable resource that may not show up in a search of this forum is a test/review of air cleaners in the October '06 issue, #172, of WOOD Magazine.
        Last edited by softop41; 04-09-2007, 06:14 AM.
        Jerry
        Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

I don't disagee with specific points given on Bill's P. website but i sometimes think he comes on a bit strong. You come off thinking that nothing but the very best air filtration device is worth anything at all. I think it forces some to stick their head in the sand and ignore the whole situation rather than try to come up with a 90% solution that a mere mortal could afford. Best is best but good beats nothing and for the limited amount of time that most spend in the shop, I suspect, most if not all of us, will be fine if you treat workshop dust with a healthy respect rather than a life altering fear.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...