• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

HF DC reborn!

I give you... the Cat Sucker 9000!

The whole thing towers 8 feet tall, and is shimmed level but also chained to the wall "just in case". Total build time about 8 hours, including the trips to HD for the 2-bys. The cyclone is one I picked up on eBay for $200 shipped - it does a good job from what I've been messing with. Enough suction to make an air-tight sear with the trashcan lid to its body, so I didn't have to do any gasketing there.

It works out really well, and now I need to upgrade from the HF doughnut ring to a cartridge filter, but not sure what I can use in this setup - Pen State and Onedia-Air have stuff on sale, so I'm looking into that.

Also planning on enclosing the blower and cyclone parts with sound deadening.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Originally posted by final_t
    I give you... the Cat Sucker 9000!
    Thanks very much. Will you deliver it, or do I have to pick it up?

That looks really good. Kind of what I'd expect from Rod.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Jaden
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Trenton, MI
      • BT3100

Ya, that aughta keep yer shop a cat free zone, but there's gonna be a heck'uva rackit in that trash can tho'

Nice work

Steve
      "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

I love the name.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Outstanding!

Comment

• hermit
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Somerset, PA, USA.

Nice job! Do you notice any decrease in performance from the standard configuration? I know the cyclone is more effecient, but I think you lose some sucking power going that way. Just wondering, since I've heard so much about the HF, I was wondering if the blower would be better or worse than my Leemade homegrown blower on my cyclone.

Todd

Comment

• final_t
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by hermit
              Nice job! Do you notice any decrease in performance from the standard configuration? I know the cyclone is more effecient, but I think you lose some sucking power going that way. Just wondering, since I've heard so much about the HF, I was wondering if the blower would be better or worse than my Leemade homegrown blower on my cyclone.

Todd
              I previously had a lid seperator on a trashcan, and I noticed that it had a lot of loss there, so this is actually an upgrade in terms of power for me. I've never ran the DC "stock" past the first day since I didn't want hard stuff whacking the blades.

It will suck loose chunks of wood that don't get stuck in the hose with no problem and rattle around pretty good.

I have no idea how to properly measure "power" for this, but it held up a 14" square 3/8" thick chunk of maple on the open 4" port. Maybe some smart cookie can figure out how to measure so we can compare?

Comment

• thestinker
                • Oct 2005
                • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Where exactly did you get your cyclone from an ebay...does he have a store and make different sizes?
                Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • IL, USA.
                  • DELTA 36-675

Nicely done and great name!
                  Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Cat Sucker huh? Hey, can I borrow that for just a little while??? ;-D

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

As someone with a 6' ceiling limit, what size trash can did you use?

Can you post pics a little further back? (I saw the bag next to it) Was the bag empty before you did this, or had you not emptied it yet?

Thanks
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• final_t
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003

eBay dude selling these things: eastcaroga, out of New York. Doesn't seem to respond to email, so I had to ask previous buyers of them for more info. YMMV. The construction was clean and good, packaging was decent, came with no damage. But it's totally bare-bones cyclone.

Trashcan size: it's a 32 gallon, about 26" tall; the 22 gallon is 24".

Unit size: the lower body is 20", the top is about 15". Upper and lower ports are 6", and the intake port can be ordered as either 4" or 6", no cost difference.

Blower/motor: combined is about 17", but you also need head clearance for the cooling fan to blow air around. This is where an open ceiling works in my favor; with a closed 8" typical garage, I'd probably be in trouble.

Add all that up plus the connecting bits and the clearance for the connecting hose from the can to the bottom of the unit, I doubt you'll get it into a 6" ceiling with the stacked design - you'll either have to make your own squatty "can" that's 12" tall, or else mount the blower to the side of the cyclone (see link at end of post). I opted for this design because it cleared out a bunch of room on the floor with the DC unit and the trashcan sprawling around.

I figure I've got a total of about $425 into this whole thing - $150 for the HF DC years ago, $200 for the cyclone, $20 for the trashcan, $40 for the bags from TWC (now gone, sob), and misc wood & screws. If I had to do-over I probably would have gone for the straight PennState or Onedia units, but that'd be $600-$900 in one lump, not a over-the-years, upgrade-as-needed thing.

"Inline" left-to-right retrofit for a Jet DC
                        http://i15.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/7c/06/d55f_1.JPG

Comment

• final_t
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                          Can you post pics a little further back? (I saw the bag next to it) Was the bag empty before you did this, or had you not emptied it yet?
                          Thanks
                          You mean the filter bag? I dismounted the dougnut from the base and lagged into a standoff brace on the wall - not bestest job, but will do until I figure better accessable design that makes it easier to change bags. There was a little left it in from before, so I just left it as-is to avoid more dusty gunk in my face.

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by final_t
                            I have no idea how to properly measure "power" for this, but it held up a 14" square 3/8" thick chunk of maple on the open 4" port. Maybe some smart cookie can figure out how to measure so we can compare?
                            I think the generally accepted test in the biz is Cheerios.

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                              Cat Sucker huh? Hey, can I borrow that for just a little while??? ;-D
                              How many kitties per minute (KPM) is it rated for?
                              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...