• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Shop Floor Makeover

Before i ever had a shop, i decided that i would have an epoxy coated floor. A little less than two years ago i finally got a shop, a two car garage that i have to share with one car. The floor was cluttered even before we moved in, and i have been working ever since to get the floor cleared out so i could epoxy it.

In January i finally finished my wood and clamp racks to get a lot of stuff off the floor and i moved the rest out to my shed. The first step was to clean the floor, which was covered with twelve years of paint splatter and soaked in oil.

I experimented with everything i've heard suggested - TSP, Simple Green, Greased Lightnings, Oil-Dri, dish detergent, industrial degreasers, CLR, carborator cleaner, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, and probably a few other things that have damaged my memory from their chemicals. The paint was pretty easy to get off, but the oil stains still remained. I ended up doing a hands-and-knees scrubbing of a degreaser and one of Simple Green (the most effective thing i tried), then etched with muriatic acid.

The acid made the biggest difference, but there were many small areas which likely would not hold epoxy. To get a good covering, it looked like i needed to shot blast or grind the floor down. I checked into a couple of rental places, and it looked like the equipment would run me $250+. As i researched epoxy coatings, i found that most people happy with their floors at Garage Journal did two coats of a high quality epoxy, which would cost about $250/coat for 400 sf, for a total over $750!

My floor was decluttered and well cleaned, so i wanted to do something with it. After a bit more research, i ended up with:

This is Armstrong Commercial vinyl composition tile. A lot of people on Garage Journal use it and are very happy with it despite not being recommended for garages by the manufacturer. This stuff is very tough - it is the same stuff used at Walmarts, Woodcrafts, and many other stores. It should provide a little bit of protection for dropped chisels and individual tiles can be removed and replaced as necessary. It will take more maintenance than epoxy, but if it is too much of a pain i may look into putting a urethane coating over it.

The color choice was to minimize showing dirt and any tire stains while still reflecting a lot of light, and i added the accent colors just to make the floor a little more interesting. I'm happy with how it turned out, but the true test will be how it wears long term.
    Eric
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Ok, I'll bite : what does it cost in dollar? and in time and effort? The site has all detailed specs, but these important ones!

What sort of adhesive is needed - generic or something special?

And yes - your floor looks real good. Mebbe a bit too good to show LOML till I am ready to bear the consequences.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• Texas splinter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Abilene, TX, USA.
      • BT3100

Looks really good, but how slick will it be with sawdust on it? I put porch and deck enamel on a plywood floor and it turned into a skating rink with sawdust on it! :~(
      "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
      Abilene, Texas

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

I expect it to be fairly slippery with sawdust and water on it. Think of wet floors in stores, though it probably won't be quite that bad since i only used a mop to apply the polish, not a buffer. I already have a mat in front of the door to help control water, and i plan on using well placed mats if i have other problems. I haven't had the chance to make any sawdust yet though as i'm still moving everything back into the shop. I've been careful walking on it when it has been wet, but it isn't as bad as ice.

As far as cost goes, i've been afraid to tally because it is more than i wanted to spend, but:
        • VCT - $0.68/tile (12"x12") from Lowes/HD. They run 20% off special order flooring sales regularly (such as a week after i ordered mine ), so you can save some money if you plan ahead.
        • Transition strip for the door - about $10.
        • Vinyl tile/sheet adhesive - $10-20/gallon from Lowes/HD. I used two gallons of Henry 430, about $20 total.
        • 100 lb. floor roller rental - about $15 for the day.
        • Vinyl tile cutter rental - about $15 for the day.
        • Floor polish - $20 for enough for five coats.

There is a lot of time that went into this project. I started at the beginning of January, and finally put the final coat of polish on last week. Cleaning and etching was the largest chunk, which involved a lot of time scrubbing as well as time waiting days for the floor to dry. I had some additional prep work to do putting down some underlayment because my floor had a fairly sharp peak in the middle from settling and a rough area near the side door. I laid the tiles all at one time, which was about 12 hours of work. The final step of putting on the polish didn't take much effort, but i had trouble getting more than one or two coats on a day because it has to dry in between coats.
        Eric

Comment

• tung tied
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2006

I'm curious as to what type of polish. I'd expect parking hot tires over polyurethane or any wax finish would cause tire stick problems.

Comment

• thrytis
            • May 2004
            • Concord, NC, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by tung tied
            I'm curious as to what type of polish. I'd expect parking hot tires over polyurethane or any wax finish would cause tire stick problems.
            The polish is just Armstrong Excelon polish. After it is dry it doesn't feel sticky in the least bit. I haven't heard of any tire stick issues. Urethane is used by some epoxy coating sellers as a top coat, so i don't think it is any worse than epoxy. The advantage i see with VCT is you have 144 sq inches of adhesive holding each tile down. Time will tell!
            Eric

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
              • Dec 2006
              • hagerstown, md

Nice one mate

I've done a lot of vct here in the house....before I realised you could get a cutter for them. I used to run the tiles through my crappy old delta benchtop TS
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

Comment

• bthere
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Alpharetta, GA

I think you should forget parking a car on a floor that looks that good. It will see much better use if you decorate it with woodworking machines.

When I put vinyl tile down I didn't know there was any such animal as a tile cutter. I ended up using/ruining a cheap paper cutter. It did the job, but I think I'll get the proper tool next time.

Comment

Working...