• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccourt
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2003
    • SC, USA.

Dust collector muffler

Has anyone used the PSI "Suppressor Dust Collector Muffler (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/sup1000.html )or one like it with their dust collection system? Does it work?
    Thanks for your advice.
    ccourt
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

I don't have one, never heard of one actually. The first things out of my mind are how much does it restrict air flow? Does it get plugged, if so how often?
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by ccourt
      Has anyone used the PSI "Suppressor Dust Collector Muffler (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/sup1000.html )or one like it with their dust collection system? Does it work?
      Thanks for your advice.
      ccourt
      Never used one, never seen one, but have investigated them a little bit since seeing them for sale.

$80 is just way too much IMO, basically they're built like an automotive glass pack muffler, straight-thru design with sound dampening material around a perforated pipe. The design is simple enough that you can easily do this yourself any number of ways.

Here's an example: http://billpentz.com/Woodworking/Cyc...rBelliveau.cfm

Take note of this comment from that article:
      Using a length of heavily insulated HVAC pipe will accomplish nearly the same noise reduction

From my reading, this seems to be the most preferred method to noise control in a Cyclone/DC system as it's cheap and easy and apparently does just as good of a job with noise control.

HTH
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• ryan.s
        • Feb 2006
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

Thom2 - that article on building a muffler lists the materials cost at $85-$95. Maybe it might be easier to just buy one for $80 unless you already have some of the materials lying around.

Comment

• Thom2
          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by ryan.s
          Thom2 - that article on building a muffler lists the materials cost at $85-$95. Maybe it might be easier to just buy one for $80 unless you already have some of the materials lying around.
          Hence the "any number of ways" comment, that article gives a good idea of the construction method.

End caps can be made from plywood with PVC rings glued on to accept the hose, inexpensive sheet metal can wrap the end caps for the outer body, that cheap "eggcrate foam" for sound absorbtion and screen for the inner core. These things certainly aren't rocket science by any means, and with just a little thought and very few $$$ in materials, I'm sure you can come up with something that performs nearly as well.
          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I remember shopnotes or another WW mag having an article on shop noise. They has a design for a cheap Shop Vac muffler. I would assume you could modify that to fit a DC.

Comment

• ccourt
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2003
              • SC, USA.

Thanks to each of you. I will checkout Bill Pentz's website.
              Thanks again,
              ccourt

Comment

Working...