X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Mar 2004
    • Northern NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

How to ventilate wood storage?

I'm finishing (or re-finishing) my basement and have a question on wood storage. I'll have a wall separating my workroom from rest of basement, and due to lolly columns and footers, the base of the wall will be quite thick - like 24". Then I'm addidng a workbench of 30" deep. And add some other hidden space and I figure I'll have a nice "tunnel" or "tube" in which to store wood, about 70" deep, 24" wide and 50" tall. I plan to partition that tunnel so can store sheet goods on one side and boards horizontally on the other, with several long, narrow "cubbie holes".

Okay, so the question is do I need to ventilate this and how? I was simpyl gonna use 3/4" ply on the floors and 1/2" ply on the sides to finish out the tunnels and for smooth walls, but no wonder whether, since this would effectivelt enclose the tubes on 3 sides and the only open side being the small side, must I ventilate this to allow wood to breathe?

If so, I was thinking the brown pegboard on sides (with its little holes to allow passage of air, but don't think it would be sturdy enough for the bases. Thus, I'm only ventilating the sides and air cannot travel vertically. Would this be okay? and these "tubes" are inside a stud wall, so any ventilation isn't really to the outside anyway.

any ideas?

thanks,

Curt J.
    A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Curt, if it were me I'd think twice about storing lumber in this way. Unless you can sticker the lumber you will have uneven drying and likely warping. Now if you only store dry wood it possibly could work. For ventilation is there any way to build in screened ventilation openings low and high, rather than using pegboard.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...