X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessrice
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

Shop construction pictures

Well, my son finally found the memory card he had a lot of the shop pictures on, so i have attached a few.

I know i have shared some already. These are actually from last may-june.

In July the roof was finished and I sided it in august. Doors went on in October and then again in January cause of a screw up by the company.

The only thing i have contracted out is the concrete work, roofing, and garage doors. I have done all the other work myself, with the help of my 15 year old son, wife, family, and friends.

I am currently framing the last interior wall and then i am onto a custom arch door for the wine barrel room. The plumbing and electrical once i get my tax return

For those that don't know already, the shop is 36x52 with a 17' side wall, 2600 sqft total. i have a little over 40K into it and expect to hit 55k by completion. The tax man already has me figured at over 90,000.00 and he thinks the loft is unfinished. Hope he doesnt find out about the cherry hardwood and wainscoting going in!

The insurance guy tried to insure me for 113k last month and i told he he better be willing to hand over all 113k and he said only what it costs to rebuild, so i told him to stick it!

I played around wiht these so that they would meet the upload restrictions, hope they are okay

1 is the concept drawing
    2 me cutting studs
    3 wife watching progress
    4 back wall, lifted by man power cuse the boom couldnt reach
    5 sidewall, lifted wiht boom, thank goodness
    6 end of first work day
    7, 8 sheeted, ready for siding
    9 son packing roof sheeting
    Jesse
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jessrice; 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM.
  • Tom H
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

WOW!

What are you going to be making in there? Is it for a business? On the same property as your home? I can only imagine what tools (and everything else) you must have in there. That sure must be a meat thing for your son, to be learning all of those things at that age.

Very cool!

Tom

Comment

• ejs1097
      Established Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Now I'm depressed. That's a tad bigger and nicer then my 10'x14' cement walled shop.

That looks awesome....I think you can post that in the 'most difficult project' thread also, this would take the cake.

Great Job!
      Eric
      Be Kind Online

Comment

• jessrice
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006

Thanks Tom,

I only wanted to build a shop once. But i already have better ideas for the next one!

We are trying to use the bottom 1/3rd a winery in the near future. The county isn't cooperating, but the city might when we are annexed. As a home occupation i only can use 600 sqft. The upstairs 1/3 will be a finished taste room/ bonus room, holiday gathering/ rec room etc.

the winery portion has the bathroom, utility room and barrel room, with the other 18x 20 space open for wine making and whatever else in the off season.

The big side is for the boat in the winter, and all of the tools and projects I am planning. I will probably be bored once I am done with construction, so i will be wood working and truck restoring. I might need to build a small shed for entertaiment and the yard tools.

As far as my son goes, he will be ready for life. He can appreciate hard work, and work along a full size adult all day. On this project alone, he has done layout, form setting, leveling, under slab plumbing, framing, set trusses, squaring up, wall sheeting, roof sheeting, siding, trim work, etc.

He has gotten to the point where he is arguing with me about the best way to layout a wall, or build this custom insulated arch door. It is bitter sweet.

I don't let him use the skilsaw, drive the forklift, or walk the tall walls to set trusses. But everything else from the framing gun to the table saw is well under his control. He may get a little carried away with the nail gun, and the rotohammer but those walls arent ever moving.

He was actually a bit faster as some of the stuff, so he graduated from the go getter, and I had to take that job over. Nothing like your 15 year old asking for you to geta clip of nails or a bottle of water, and be fast about it.

I hope to get it finished by next febuary as now it is a time verses money project, and i have plenty of time, just waiting on the extra money

Jesse

Comment

• jessrice
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ejs1097
          Now I'm depressed. That's a tad bigger and nicer then my 10'x14' cement walled shop.

That looks awesome....I think you can post that in the 'most difficult project' thread also, this would take the cake.

Great Job!
          This picture shows the most difficult wall, the front one with the glulams. It was long, heavy, and had to be built on platforms so we could tip it into place.

Overall, i made a few errors along the way, cut out a few studs, cussed my self for making it so tall when trying to caulk the peaks, but it has probably been easier than some of the dovetail jointery i have seen members do on this site.

I think the hardest part was making the material list and making sure everyone was using the correct lumber and not just the closest piece. I cant even guess how many 2x6x18 were cut down to 8 footers or even 14.5" spacing blocks. That is why i tried to runt he chop saw, and keep the skils saws unplugged and out of reach.

I'll admit, it is awesome to stand in the big bay and just "experience the size!"
          I'll hate the heating bill!

Jesse
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tom H
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2006

Well Jesse, good luck with the winery. That sounds like fun, and the additional family space is a great idea. You've got all the toys I look forward to in a few years.

I bought a new house on a small plot last year, thinking "low maintenance," but now that I've discovered WW, the garage is starting to look pretty small, and loml wants to keep her car in the garage (for sure when she gets something really nice after finishing her masters degree). She already said if I want a permanent shop, we need to move up to a 3 car garage. But just like the rucksack I used to carry, if you have more room, you'll fill it with more stuff!

A boat is in the not too distant future as well, and I'll probably need to rent space for it-- no way all of that will fit in the space I have. Looks like I need to come up with a plan to get more property and build what you've got.

Sounds like your son is going to wind up finishing it for you!

Tom

Comment

• jessrice
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006

Tom,

thankfully here in eastern wa, our cost of living is very low, espcially compared to Seattle, Portland, and CA.

When we bought this house 4 years ago, we got 1 acre, the 1700 sqft home, and a 24x32 2 car detached garage/shop for 140,000.00. We also have the coumbia river about 300 yards from the house, so a lot poeple own boats, and the market is saturated, making them afforadable.

I donated the origianl garage to a local church. It only had 8' side walls, and we had some much crap packed in there it just wasnt working out. No woodworking or parking. The boat or truck wouldnt fit under the door either.

It was only 6 years old, so they unbolted it from the slab, put it on a semi truck and away in went. It now is full of christmas decorations and lawn maintnence stuff. Best donation i have ever done, I see it everyday on my way to work. to bad i couldnt doante the slab, still got chucks of it in a pile.

Heres the last pics for now,

Jesse
              Attached Files

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I recently posted a 'gloat' about the steel building I bought for a bigger shop. Excuse me while I go dete that thread!

Fantastic set up going there!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• jessrice
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006

Pappy,

i actually really admire what your doing with your new shop, and the whole disassembly, move, re-assembly stuff.

My father in law and his best friend, who retired from an unnamed nuke processing facility, have bid on several old builds, shops, and work trailers, and have completely dissembled them on site, taking everything with them (part of the deal) including the nails.

The have then reused the materials or whole buildings for building on some mountian land we own in walla walla. These were industrial type buildings, and have some interesting things like your building does to deal with.

I have been impressed with what it takes to do this type of move, and make an existing building work for a new purpose, and therefore admire you for you same undertaking.

So don't even think about deleting your post!

Jesse

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

WOW! I'd love to have that in my basement.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Kerf
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2006

MAN!
                      I wish I could Have All that space!

Congratulations!

You should post pics of the progress
                      Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! -Rocky Balboa-

Comment

Working...