• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

Portable AC unit for shop?

Just moved into new house and finally have a dedicated shop I dont have to share with cars - a 1 car 11x21 garage. I know it's hard for many of you to fathom right now and cold just thinking about it, but here in Florida, the heat is starting to set in. Anybody have recommedations for a portable AC unit? I cant use a window mount version because of deed restrictions...I've seen the small portable units that have a 4" duct - which I guess I can port through the block wall. Anybody have one of these or have any recommendations around what to go with? What about dehumidifier - necessary?

Thanks
    Gary
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

The portable type with the ducting tops out at 9k btu which may be enough for 231 sq ft. If you leave it on with the thermostat set it should control the humidity also. That may not be cost effective so a dehumidifier may be needed.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Crash2510
      • Feb 2006
      • North Central Ohio

We have installed a couple of these made by mitsubishi and they are very nice and only require 4" or so hole through the wall. Not sure what you want to spend, but these are extremely nice. http://www.mrslim.com/Products/subCa...CategoryID=139
      Phil In Ohio
      The basement woodworker

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by Crash2510
        We have installed a couple of these made by mitsubishi and they are very nice and only require 4" or so hole through the wall. Not sure what you want to spend, but these are extremely nice. http://www.mrslim.com/Products/subCa...CategoryID=139
        Roughly what is your installed price of one of these systems? I know some of the mini-split systems aren't that much more than portable AC units, but i suspect if you have to buy it from a local dealer and have it installed then you're looking at significantly more.
        Eric

Comment

• Crash2510
          • Feb 2006
          • North Central Ohio

depends on the size of the unit, but using the base unit cost $2995 the electrical end shouldn't be more than a few hundred if you are not far from the unit to the panel. hvac I am not sure about, but these use all flare fittings(required for waranty)

hope this helps
          Phil In Ohio
          The basement woodworker

Comment

• GaryA
            Established Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Tampa, FL, USA.

Ouch.... I was thinking about one of those $400-$500 portable units like http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HPE09XC6...2855935&sr=8-1 or better. At the most I was thinking of going to a mini-split system around $800. For $3K, I can get the SawStop I've been salivating over and buy a $20 fan with suspended ice cubes in front of it. Are these smaller units junk?
            Gary

Comment

• Crash2510
              • Feb 2006
              • North Central Ohio

I have not used this specific unit, but hat have used others like it before and they are kind of hit and miss on their cooling ability.
              Phil In Ohio
              The basement woodworker

Comment

• coach
                Established Member
                • Jan 2005
                • Forney, TX.
                • Powermatic 66

I have a 220v window air unit on an HTC2000 mobile base. I roll it under the garage door, lower the door on top of the unit and fill in the sides with a couple of insulated fillers I made. It works like a charm in the Texas heat. I just roll it out of the way when I'm done.
                If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                  • Delta Unisaw

Don't forget the possibility of needing to insulate. Made heaps of difference for me
                  Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• GaryA
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Tampa, FL, USA.

How did you insulate? It's block wall on three sides, the 3rd is an insulates interior facing wall. Foamboard? What about the garage door?
                    Gary

Comment

• Crash2510
                      • Feb 2006
                      • North Central Ohio

I think a decent foam board would be your best option, but you might want to fir out the walls and put up some drywall or something. Also a great time to add more electrical outlets. as for the garage door they should be insulated, but I don't know what they do down in florida.
                      Phil In Ohio
                      The basement woodworker

Comment

• smorris
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by GaryA
                        How did you insulate? It's block wall on three sides, the 3rd is an insulates interior facing wall. Foamboard? What about the garage door?
                        I framed in the inside of the block walls with 2x4's then put in conventional fiberglas batts. I still have to get around to putting 1/2" ply over the framing.
                        --
                        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                          • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by smorris
                          I framed in the inside of the block walls with 2x4's then put in conventional fiberglas batts. I still have to get around to putting 1/2" ply over the framing.
                          I did about the same thing in my pole barn. I added studs to the walls and rafters to the ceilings, insulated and then put plywood and peg board on the walls. Before and after pics.

Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• GaryA
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Tampa, FL, USA.

Man, it's getting hot down here....

So, I actually ended up finding this online...the Mitsubishi mini-split "Mr Slim" model for $915 + shipping for a 9500btu unit (I have a 11x20 shop) http://www.acsuperstore.com/Merchant...i_Cooling_Only

Guessing I'd have to have someone install it. Also - anyone out there know if i'd be better off going to the $1200 version which is 15000btu and 16 SEER - I know i dont need all of those BTUs, but would it run much more efficiently? Anyone else have any feedback on this type of unit vs. portable AC?
                            Gary

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Somehow I missed your original post.

I am close to Ft Lauderdale, so pretty similar weather to yours. 2 years ago was employed in a small company ( in Sunrise ) which had put 4 of us in a back room we used to call 'the cave', because it had no openings other than the entry-point and was always HOT (despite the AC being 'central').

So we had one of those portable AC units running during the day giving us very welcome relief. This would run the whole day and we were particular in shutting it down before leaving for home, to avoid burn-out. But 8-10 hours with 4 men and a bunch of computers is pretty heavy load, and that unit seemed to handle it well. Of course, the size of that room was around 8' x 16', smaller than yours. But if you work alone, and keep the unit close-by, I'd guess it should suffice. Have you checked locally? I'd say try HD/Lowes - you'd know in a day or two if you like it, else you could return it and get a bigger one? Frankly for the time I spend in the garage I'd think twice (and again) before I spend the real big buck on AC. (I do have a fan).

Unfortunately, our unit was bought before I joined the group, so I never pooled up, hence have no clue what model it was, or how much it cost. But I think around $400 and it did look very similar to the unit you linked-to in your first post. It needed an exhaust port of 4/5 inches, for which we dug into the wall - leading into a different dept .

Just in case you were wondering (I did), the other dept had a problem of over-cooling, so the warm air from here was welcome there , apart from the day when their section of AC broke down and they came running to demand we shut down our AC-let. We did not want to and it was in general a fun day of true inter-departmental-warfare .
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...