• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

ShopNotes TS blade guard

Any thoughts on the homemade blade guard shown in the current issue of ShopNotes? Looks interesting as an alternative to the Shark. Is it as safe as a Shark, in terms of protecting one's hands from the blade and minimizing effects of kickback?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dlminehart; 02-22-2007, 01:44 PM.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Hard to say without having used one but there are a couple of things I don't like about it - the biggest being that you can't see the blade from the front with that design. The rest depends on your fabrication ability but the Shark is a proven performer.

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I was looking at that last night. The part they don't show too closely is the part that would bug me the most -- the support contraption. I'd hate to have all that in my way. It would either have to be a very long, thus less rigidly supported, or it would block rip capacity, too.

It took a close look to realize it wasn't fence-mounted.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• whitecobra
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
        • BT3K with most accessories

I hate it because you can't see from the front of the blade
        You need to look at the work progress form the side
        My mind needs to see straight on in dead on

I LIKE the idea of it but I am going for Shark

Dr D
        Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
        www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• Larryl
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Lorena, TX, USA.
          • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

I have used the Shark about 2 years now and find I can make 90%+ of my cuts with the guard in place and the dust collection hooked-up. If the Shark is available for your saw it will be the best $ spent for shop safety. IMHO.
          I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

All I have seen is that small picture so far. It appears to me to be designed around a shop vac attachment rather than a safety accessory. The visibility is a glaring issue, although there have been many factory guards where you couldn't even see the side of the blade. In this day and age with the materials available, there is no reason not to design it with the blade visible when cutting. I think it probably functions well at dust collecting where the hose is, but I feel its too obtrusive in that location with that design. The rest of it looks like its fairly well thought out and an interesting design.
            If a guy were to use this design and simply put the dust port on top and a clear polycarbonate piece in front, it would be a better design.

Thanks Guys.
            Lee

Comment

Working...