• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbridge337
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • GA.

sub panel considerations

Hi, I have a 200amp main panel in the garage with 6 empty spots in it. I have a utility room in the basement about 35' away from the main panel with about 6" of concrete wall and 8" of wood framed wall into drop ceiling space above a room between the two spaces. I currently only have 1 15amp outlet in the utility room. I would like to have a sub panel installed in the utility room to add more outlets for saw, router table, dust collector, air cleaner (down the road), and possibly a kiln (50amp breaker required 240v for ceramics).

My initial thought is that conduit will need to be run from the main box to the spot in the garage with a common wall and then drill through the concrete or wood frame wall and continue the conduit into the utility room to the sub panel. My desire would be to have the conduit run along the perimeter of the garage floor from the main panel to the spot where it needs to penetrate the rest of the house.

I have read earlier posts regarding lights on separate circuits (there are currently two two bulb flourescent fixtures on a circuit from the main panel). Then I would probably want a 20amp circuit for dust collection. Two 20amp circuits for saw, router table, drill press, pottery wheel, etc. I can not think of a situation where more then one of those would ever be used at a time. And then two 15 or 20 amp circuits for hand tools, stereo, tv, etc.

I would like to keep the option open for the air cleaner (20amp?) and kiln (50amp) down the road.

There is a door from the garage to the house with masonry steps leading up to the door between the main panel and the area where entering the house seems the least intrusive. That is why conduit from the main to sub seems like the easiest option. The only place where the coduit would be visible is in the garage. Does this sound like a feasible approach? Any other considerations that I need to make? Thank you in advance.

Jim
  • Crash2510
    • Feb 2006
    • North Central Ohio

If it were me I would use a 125amp square d(qo) panel. They are readily available and can be found at home depot lowes for a descent price. This could be run in 1 1/4 pipe, but I would run 2" for ease of pull and future use. I would also run copper wire as It is better.
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

We have a 150 amp main breaker. When I put in my shop into half the basement, I had a 60A subpanel put in. Realize of course that a 60A panel, or the 150A main, can handle many more "amps" of breakers, since not every circuit is drawing max current. The main panel has a 60A breaker that feeds the subpanel.

The 60A subpanel has 2 ea. 220V-30A, and 6 or so 110V 20A for shop, plus several 15A for the other rooms in the basement, and it still has room for more breakers, so I could add more 110V or 220V circuits.

The electrician ran 8 ga. (as I recall) wire thru conduit within the garage to go up to ceiling, across the garage ceiling, and down the opposite wall that is common to the basement. Then from there, he added a junction box, punched thru wall to run sheathed 3 conductor 8 ga. cable into crawl space, and acroos crawlspace into shop for the subpanel.

On a separate note, I also installed a utility sink in the shop, on wall adjacent to bathroom. Nothing like having a deep sink to clean up in, especially paint trays and brushes. Keeps LOML happy that I'm not trashing out her kitchen to do cleanup.
      Last edited by lrr; 02-17-2007, 12:54 AM.
      Lee

Comment

Working...