• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Garage Floor Tiles

I was planning on applying an epoxy finish to my garage/shop this spring. Then, I saw these plastic garage floor tiles at Sam's Club for around $1/sq.ft.. This is less than half of what Sears wants.

Does anyone have experience with these tiles? I need to roll my tools around when I need to use them and need to put them away (including my 700-800lb TS w/ cabinet).
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

I've been using these 2'X2' interlocking "foam type" squares that I got at Costco, I think the price was $10.00 for a package 9.

I only have them in front of the workbence, but the shop (garage) is so small, I usually have the planer or bandsaw (the two heaviest tools in the shop) pretty much on them most of the time.

After two years, there's almost no visual wear and if they really get too funky, I can take them out and hose them down.

Probably one of the smarter things I got for the shop.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• thrytis
      • May 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

If no one here has any advice, you might want to check out Garage Journal Flooring Forum. You can probably find someone there who has used them. If i remember correctly, the Sam's plastic tiles are like the RaceDeck, which from what i've read hold up fine to the weight but have a plasticy clomp walking across them.
      Eric

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by MBG
        Does anyone have experience with these tiles? I need to roll my tools around when I need to use them and need to put them away (including my 700-800lb TS w/ cabinet).
        I have been using the 2 ft square relatively soft plastic interlocking mats for a couple of years and wouldn't be without. I have them in front of the TS and workbench. My "workshop" is my garage so it has to be "rolled up" during the winter months. The floor tiles come up easily, clean-up nicely with a shop-vac, broom, or hose, and go back down just as easily.

I usually do not roll any of the heavy tools on top of the tiles so I can't comment on their usefulness when UNDER MACHINERY. On those occasions where some equipment was pushed up to them, they tended to bend and distort so I do not think they would be very good under heavy stuff unless the mats were glued down.

They are, however, great when UNDER FOOT.

Regards, SN

Comment

Working...