• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

An idea for the fellow "space-challenged"

During some recent discussions about shop setup, I got to thinking about some wasted space next to my SCMS, and how I'd love to have my Ridgid OS/B sander sitting out and ready for use.

I came up with the following idea to replace this stock support/fence for my SCMS, otherwise known as "BEFORE". This photo shows the stock support to the left of the SCMS, with a fence for holding stops. (The stop in use here can slide essentially all the way to the blade.) The wasted space I mentioned is behind this support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 SCMS Fence - Before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	789978

This is the new stock support and not-quite-finished fence. On the new fence, the t-track is on top to facilitate flip-stops; a sorely-missed-though-I've-never-had-em feature. The stock support consists of the two side pieces which are lag-bolted to the bench top, and a 3" wide spanning piece that drops into cutouts in the side pieces.

Name:	3 SCMS Fence & Stock Support.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	789979

This photo shows the fence removed, the short sections of t-track used to hold the fence, and the spanning support pulled out:

Name:	4 SCMS Fence - Knocked Down.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	789980

And, ta-da!, the OS/B pulled forward between the side supports, ready for use. I replumbed the DC, too, so that I have a branch coming up on the left to serve both the OS/B, and the SCMS.

Name:	5 OS-B Pulled Forward.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	789981

The only down-side to this setup is that the OS/B tabletop is fairly high; I think about 48". Still, very usable, and much easier to get to.

Regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Miller; 02-02-2007, 11:46 AM.
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Great idea Tom, form and function.
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Looks great, Tom. One question, though: do you find (or, since this is a recent change, do you anticipate) that the CMS being so close will limit the lengths of workpieces you can take to the sander?
      Larry

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Tom

That is a great idea and a nice use of that space.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Lookin' good, Tom
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by LarryG
            Looks great, Tom. One question, though: do you find (or, since this is a recent change, do you anticipate) that the CMS being so close will limit the lengths of workpieces you can take to the sander?
            To be honest, I haven't even checked for interference with the SCMS. My intention is still to set the OS/B on it's cart for "real" use, which means either long usage time, or larger parts. It's for the little sanding projects (which could be >50% of its use), where it seems like too much of a PITA to pull out the OS/B and lift it into position, that I did this.

That said, I think if I push the SCMS all the way back, and pull the OS/B all the way forward, it'll clear.

And, I can always rotate the OS/B by, say, 7 degrees.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• ChrisD
              • Dec 2004
              • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Good idea and nice job, Tom. Before I put my MS, DP, and mortiser on mobile workstations, they shared the wavy top of a 50-something-year-old workbench. I would just pull them up when I needed to use them and push 'em back when I was done. A really crude version of your nice setup!
              The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• charger1966
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Amsterdam, New York
                • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Very nice spacesaving idea. I hope that it is not too close to the SCMS.
                Keep making that sawdust.
                Lance

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very clever Tom. If you were to un-lock the SCMS and turn it to maximum right, you would probably pick up some clearance on the sander for larger stock. Just a thought.

Again.. well done.

Regards...

Comment

Working...