Clear All
  • fcpjax
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Jacksonville, Florida USA.
    • Frankensaw - dual Ryobi BT3000s

Capturing and Recycling shop Chemicals

Hi All,

Need help on how to capture and recycle shop chemicals.
    Trying to keep them out of the water drain system.

I currently have a plastic laundry tub in the shop and I am planning on replacing it with two separate stainless steel sinks. One long rectangular sink for water stuff and the other a small round sink for chemicals like, paint thinner, Xylene, gas, etc.... The chemicals will NOT go into the water drain system so I am looking for ideas on setting up ways to capture the chemicals in specific jars for that chemical.

I want to make the small round sink for cleaning paint brushes and parts.
    My desire is to make this sink drain into PTFE or PFA plastic jars so I can recycle some of these chemicals.

Has anyone out there addressed the issue of capturing and recycling chemicals used in the shop? What approach did you use?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Bob Pepple
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

It sounds like you pretty much have it thought out. Install sink with the drain pipe going straight down into the correct jar. Switch jars as needed. Pretty simple and straight forward.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Bob,

Sounds like you have it covered. A question - why use plastic containers for your chemicals? Why not metal cans? You can buy quart and gallon size paint containers. That way, a good seal on the lid and no worries about getting the wrong plastic and having the container melt.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ajcraig
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Hill, Fl.

Check out the workshop tip in February/March issure of American Woodworker on page 23 for recycling AND reusing contaminated mineral spirits. Very clever.

Comment

• sbs
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • VA
          • BT3.1k

I prefer glass to metal or plastic. No melting, no rusting.

The only thing I would add to the original plan is ventilation. A lot of that stuff is carcinogenic, so put a fan over the sink and blow the fumes outside.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

At my former job we used funnels on barrels with closeable lids. the double sink, one with a drain to sewer and one to collection would never fly with the inspectors. they don't want any chance of an accidental "spill." there are plently of solutions if you look in catalogs such as lab supply, new pig, etc.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• krogers
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Garden City, New York, USA.

stainless steel sink

Out of curiousity, have you found a good source for a stainless steel slop sink? I am in a similar situation. I have a cheap plastic version and I want to upgrade. Searching the 'net I have fournd a couple regular drop in kitchen sinks. But not what I am looking for. - Kevin

Comment

• fcpjax
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2005
                • Jacksonville, Florida USA.
                • Frankensaw - dual Ryobi BT3000s

Hi Kevin,

I was going to buy The Moen Excalibur Model 22823 for $79.90 at HD

But we have several Contractor's Best stores here in Jax so I decided to buy a small round bar sink $29 and a single sink much like the Moen above
                only a single sink for $39. both came with strainers and drains. This will let me seperate the two sinks a little more just incase one of those sneaky "inspectors" should be looming....Ha

I am still working on how to set up the catch tanks under the chemical sink. I looked at all the lab type containers and they are just too expensive. Now I am looking at using the rectangle Kitty litter pails if they are made with HDPE I think they will stand up to Xylene or thinners.
                Still checking that out to make sure.

More on this later....
                Bob Pepple
                Jacksonville, FL

Comment

• jessrice
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006

If you are looking for open rectangular pans, you might look at a restaurant supply house or eBay for the stainless steel buffet type pans, some of these might even have a pour lip built into a corner. Should hold up to most chemicals, and be cheaper than "lab ware"

I think going directly into the container though is a better idea, less chance for evaporation, less handling, and cross contamination, less chance for a spark to hit an open pan of flammables

but you are way ahead of me!

Jesse

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

make sure that you gound your metal sink. static electricity could create a spark. I think you'd be better off with metal pails, also grounded of course.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• onedash
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Maryland
                      • Craftsman 22124

why would you be pooring gas into a sink or container??? my eco friendly solution is to pour it on concrete and let the sun and wind take care of it for me.
                      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...