• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curly Qsawn
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

Ikea Cabinets

I was trying to think of a quick and easy way to make-over my basement work area. I saw some Ikea kitchen cabinets that I would put on a mobile base. Pretty inexpensive with doors and drawers. Anyone ever used Ikea's cabinets before?
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

ikea stuff gets a bad rap but as long as you asseble them properly they should be fine.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

they are made decently, I have installed an entire kitchen of them. I would install stonger backs on them to make them more rigid for a mobile base.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

I have a friend here in San Jose who wanted a particular style of Ikea cabinet, back when the only stores were on the Eastern seaboard. Even shipping them out here, they came significantly cheaper than the HD alternatives, and they've held up just fine for many years.
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• dsellinger
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2006
          • NW WA
          • bt3000

A little gorilla glue in the seams while putting it all together goes a long way to really helping hold all that partial board together.

Comment

• eddy merckx
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Western WA
            • Shop Fox Cabinet

We have a whole kitchen full of Ikea cabinets. They were put in 4 yrs ago and no sign of wear yet. I don't think you can beat their cabinets for the price.

Eddy

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2004
              • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

Thanks for the replys. My wife had some of their wardrobes when we were in Germany. I've never been really fond of the particle board though. It is too cold to start a real project and I need to reduce the size of my work area in the basement and reorganize. Ikea has some nice dark grey laminate with birch that looks nice and for my purposes probably would work a weekend wonder. I'll have to let SWMBO drag me over there this week and let her think it was her idea!

Comment

• thestinker
                • Oct 2005
                • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

closet organisers

We put 18 feet of 8 foot tall by 39" and 20" wide 24" deep organisers in our new closet. We love them. Plenty of room for hanging and you can add drawrs as you see fit for you design. They assemble good, just follow the instructins and you will be fine. The 1st one took like 45 minto put togather, but by the last one the wife and I had our system down and we were tossing them up in about 15 min.

Riley
                Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

Working...