Clear All
  • Greg in Maryland
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Montgomery Village, Maryland
    • BT3100

220 v Installation

Hi

I need to install a 220 v outlet right next to my circuit breaker for a compressor. I have plenty of slots left in the circuit breaker and the wiring needed for the outlet should be less than two feet.

Anyone have any idea what a licensed electrician would charge me for this job? I realize that this answer is completely dependent upon location, so I am just trying to get an rough idea.

Thanks.

Greg
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Greg in Maryland
    Hi

I need to install a 220 v outlet right next to my circuit breaker for a compressor. I have plenty of slots left in the circuit breaker and the wiring needed for the outlet should be less than two feet.

Anyone have any idea what a licensed electrician would charge me for this job? I realize that this answer is completely dependent upon location, so I am just trying to get an rough idea.

Thanks.

Greg
    Greg, sent you a PM.

If you get all the parts and supplies for him and you don't have drywall to
    mess with or you prep the wall beforehand, it should be less than a 1/2 hour
    job. You'll have to pay him for travel time, too. I'd think $50-$75 for
    starters.

Paul

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

First: It's a Panel Box, not a circuit breaker. The panel box HOLDS the circuit breakers.

Second: I would guess $50, that is a number I pulled out of the air. There might be a minimum price or time you might have to pay. About $25 for the material.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• JSCOOK
        • Sep 2006
        • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Don't forget the cost of the "permit" or whatever is required in your location as I'm guessing it will have to also be "inspected" if your having an Electrician do it ... he's not going to risk his license in most cases.

If you understand whats involved and understand what safety precautions need be taken, I'd just do it yourself since it's so simple a job ... otherwise do have any buddies that are good (and competent) with wiring?
        Last edited by JSCOOK; 01-23-2007, 09:59 PM.
        "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Crash2510
          • Feb 2006
          • North Central Ohio

In Ohio this kind of thing is typically not inspected
          Phil In Ohio
          The basement woodworker

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Crash2510
            In Ohio this kind of thing is typically not inspected
            For insurance purposes, you should have it inspected. However, I wouldn't for
            something like this, and the past 2 electricians I've worked with on both sides of
            the country both didn't seem the need for it. By the time the inspector shows
            up, all the work is tucked away behind the walls, he looks around, flips the
            switch, asks a few questions, and signs off on it.

Paul

Comment

• sbs
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • VA
              • BT3.1k

Originally posted by Greg in Maryland
              Hi

This is an absolutely trivial job. If you are at all mechanically inclined you should do it yourself.

If you hire someone, the trip charge will be the main cost. Trip charge + 1/2 hour labor + materials. Probably $100-150 in most parts of the country.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                For insurance purposes, you should have it inspected.

Paul
                There is nothing "insurance related" about the job. If he were to make a mistake that caused fire, etc then your homeowners would respond and pay your damages, as well as, look into the matter of subrogation (recovery from adverse party).

Not sure where you are in MD, but I am going to agree with the $100 - $150 price range. Most of that will be the trip out.

I do agree with the other poster that they are pretty easy to install yourself. I have installed 3 220v double pole breakers, outlets and plugs on the machinery and its a pretty simple process.

Comment

• Rand
                  Established Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Vancouver, WA, USA.

It is pretty easy. How many amps does the compressor require? I ask only because as the amperage goes up the wire diameter goes up too. I'm guessing a 20A breaker would be enough. In that case you use 12g wire.

Just make sure you turn the power off to the panel before you start working on it.
                  Rand
                  "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

Working...