• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

DC Outside the Shop

Guys, how much do the filter bags / cannisters really affect the air flow with a DC ? Do you see less air flow with a 2.5 micron filter bag than the stock 30 micron bags for the HF DC ? The cannister type filters have a lot more surface area -- does that allow for more air flow ?

Based on the other threads going here the past few days, I'm seriously thinking of building a little enclosure for my HF DC on the other side of my garage wall and sending the ducting inside through a window, sealing the rest off. That way none of this dust is returning to my shop for me to breathe.

What if you used no bags at all ? Just had the motor and impeller and vented the whole thing outside ? The structure I build on the other side of the window could then become like a big chip / dust collection bin. Maybe window type screens so that only the finer dust escaped from the compartment ? If going with that type of solution, I could sell the HF DC and just go with something like Bill's site mentions -- a 3-5HP motor and a 14" impeller. Wouldn't take up any room in the shop at all.

Just kinda thinking out loud.......

Steve
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

In some places it's illegal to vent dust directly into the atmo ... Pentz mentions this somewhere on his web site. If that's not a concern, the next possible obstacle might be a complaining neighbor, or the mess it would make. You'd also want to ensure that the prevailing winds don't carry the dust back toward, and possibly into, your shop.

If none of those issues are in play, there's certainly nothing wrong with just letting the dust blow to the winds. Or you could keep using the stock bags to collect the bulk of the dust -- if the bags leak some fines, who cares? -- and then dispose of it in whatever way is convenient (I burn mine).
    Larry

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I'm trying to picture how to do that. Picturing something like a closet that's sealed up except for sections at the top with like window screening. Only the fine dust could escape and the rest would collect inside where I could clean it out. Enough of an overhang from the roof of it to keep water from getting inside -- up on blocks so that keeps it dry as well. The screening would keep out bugs and birds and such.

This wall of my garage can really only be seen from my back yard. We have two acres of land, my house sitting on about 1.5 acres. There's a church on the south side and a farm behind us. We own the 0.5 acre lot next door on the north side so my only real neighbor is like two doors down.

Like you said......as long as it's not blowing right back inside......

On the opposite side of the garage I have a window beside the door to the deck......that would allow replacement air inside at least and wouldn't be close to where I'm venting.

Would get me down to using a large impeller and a 5 HP motor to just suck the dust from the ducting and blow it out into that compartment. Now I need you guys to come along and poke holes in this idea ! haha

Steve

Comment

• IBBugsy
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Allentown, PA.
        • BT3100

Steve,

Another thing to think about is heating. If you have the DC outside, then you'll be replacing the exhausted air with fresh, outside air (either through a dedicated opening or through the numerous little cracks and openings in the walls and garage doors). In the winter, that will cool the garage down a bit. Not sure if that's an issue for you in TN but I'm sure you get your fair share of cold weather.

I toyed with this idea also for my garage but PA gets cold enough in the winter that I don't want to be losing that heat.

If you do go outside, I'd keep the 30 micron bag on it to minimize the mess. Just my "Neat Freak" quirks....
        Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
        "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• Sid
          Established Member
          • Apr 2004
          • Bloomington, IL, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by ssmith1627
          Do you see less air flow with a 2.5 micron filter bag than the stock 30 micron bags for the HF DC ? The cannister type filters have a lot more surface area -- does that allow for more air flow ?
          It seems counterintuitive, but the 2.5 micron bag will have better flow than the 30 micron. Basically, the holes are smaller, but there's a lot more of them. Yes, the cartridges will have better flow too.

Sid

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

If conditions are right, it's quite a good solution to exhaust outside.
            This is what I do and have done since after about the first year I built my DC.
            I have since moved everything outside except the piping. Dust comes out of my shop and goes first into a 50 gallon separator barrel, then on into the blower and then down into a 5 gallon bucket half full of water. No filter. When the water evaporates, I clean the muck out and and add more water. Some areas where it is cold often will have an issue of the water freezing. If you are in an area that allows you to vent outside with no close neighbors, then I'd say it's still okay to do. When I get cold snaps down here, I use a few infrared lights in my shop pointed at some tool surfaces. This really does warm up the shop and actually retains a lot of heat, even when I run the DC.
            Colder climates and closer neighbors will make doing this a bad idea.
            On the other hand, you could build the separate room outside for your DC and actually vent the warm air back into the shop using some filters in between. This route is also high maintenance just like having the DC in the shop. It takes time to maintain the filters.

I also use other things that help with dust and are temperature dependent. A window vent fan that I use when I am making a lot of dust. An air cleaner that I use when I'm running my AC.

One thing about it, there are many different ways to overcome obstacles to achieve a lower level of dust in any given shop. Many involve time and money, but ultimately they will be protecting you and yours. It's a worthwhile drain.
            Lee

Comment

• onedash
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Maryland
              • Craftsman 22124

When I buy a house and build a shop I am going to make a room/closet inside the shop that will be sealed air tight and instead of windows I will have filters to allow the air back into the shop. Its almost like going outside but I wont waste my conditioned air. I figure figure if I put maybe 5 or 6 big furnace filters it should limit the amount of airflow through each and hopefully they will last a long time. Maybe put the elcheapo dollar filters as pre filters and the good $20 dollar filters second. Or if I can find them maybe use the 2 inch filters. Then the DC performance will not matter to much but it will still hold all the chips and most of the dust but the filters would stop the sub micron stuff from getting back in the shop. And maybe an air cleaner in the shop to get one doesnt go in the DC.
              YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...