• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

wood storage so far

I'm a little shy about showing what I've built for my shop because I don't think they're ever good enough compared to what others have done. But I know that shop storage is a big deal here, and I thought I'd share my latest small-shop project.

I spent about three days building these. They were from one of the Wood issues (can't remember which right now). My shop is so small that I had to get the lumber I have off the floor, including three boxes of scraps.

The lumber rack is about 12" deep, and there are about two layers of 6"-wide lumber on each of the bottom racks. It's fairly strong. Before I loaded it up, I performed my customary unscientific strength test, this time by hanging on the rack as a point load. I figured if it can carry 110 lbs of concentrated weight, it should be fine with a distributed load.

The scrap sorter is supposed to have hardwood edging, but I was too tired and lazy to add that. Besides, it serves it purpose. The top shelf is 6.75" deep, the next one is 8.75" deep, and so on, until the bottom one at 14.75" deep. The back is great for longer scraps that are too short for the lumber rack.
    Attached Files
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Anna, don't feel shy about showing off your projects. Even if you don't think it's much someone else might think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I have a small shop, so I'm always looking for ways to save space / get more out of the space I have.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Evening Anna...

You earned a grade of A+ in my view with a 2 Kudo accommedation medal attached... and 1 letter of reprimand!

Kudo awarded for:

(1).. Using the space you have to work with and attaining the maximum from it. And extremely well done work by anyone's standards.

(2) Being a computer and photography il-literate myself, I don't know how you came up with those crystal clear pictures on my computer, but very well executed however you did it!

Reprimanded for:

"I'm a little shy about what I've have built for my shop because I don't think they're ever good enough compared to what others have done"... Anna

I'm not sure what comparisons you based that on, but the work I see exhibited in those two pictures is as good as anybody here is capable of. No one I am aware of in the 35 years I have been whacking at wood has built a absolute flaw-free, perfect piece and that includes the big names IMO.

Each of us had to start our journey at the same place... The beginning! And perhaps each of us are at various stages of that journey. Where you stand at this moment is nowhere any of us haven't already been or have not reached yet.

What I see in the pictures does not warrant shame.. but instead praise. Nothing wrong with being shy.. but to put yourself in a mind-frame of thinking your work is not worthy or to be viewed or enjoyed by all is an in-correct conclusion on your part. You just proved yourself "wrong" on that count with the excellent job you presented in those pictures.

So.... stand up and be counted as we are all taking the same journey in essence. Some are just a little more advanced at what stage they have reached in our travels. And for that matter.. some like me got lost a long time ago and don't have a clue where I'm at! Where did I put that compass this time? ha.. ha....

Happy New Year...

Comment

• GeekMom
        • Dec 2004
        • Bonney Lake, WA.
        • Shopsmith Mark V

Looking great, Anna. I especially like the scrap sorter - makes sense of the small stuff.
        Karen
        <><

Comment

• MilDoc

Never second guess your work. Looks great to me! Musta missed that small piece sorter. Looks good. But I'd need one at least 10 times bigger being the pack rat I am!

There are folks on this board I strive to be like some day. But we all learn from each other...

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Floral Park, NY
            • Bosch 4000

Thanks for the great idea for the scrap rack Anna. Very nicely done!

Greg

Comment

• Stan
              • Mar 2004
              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Looks like it turned out great, excellent way to keep the wood and scrap pieces organized.... wish my shop was that organized.
              From the NW corner of Montana.
              http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I'd say very nicely done - very utilitarian, and nice looking to boot.

Did you hang the lumber rack onto the peg-board itself, or nail it to the wall thru the pegboard?

And I agree - either you have excellent photography skills, or you keep an extremely neat shop (or maybe both)!
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

I don't see any problems with what you have there, looks nice and functional. Of course I have some god aweful looking cabinets in my shop at the moment also. I worry more about how the furniture turns out then the shop furniture. I did one "pretty" shop cabinet, wasn't worth the trouble, it's just gonna get beat up in there anyway.

It's MUCH more important that it serve the purpose, whatever that purpose proves to be. For me, it's mostly making furniture. Besides, I'm fairly sure my lathe doesn't care how the cabinet it sits upon looks.

Looks good to me....be happy, be proud
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Anna

Looks great to me. Any way of getting materials off the floor in some uniform way is the way to go. Those high, unused areas are out of the way and make good storage areas. Just remember that warmer air rises.

Stacking up weight on a wall, especially high, should be VERY secure. You don't want that stuff falling on your head. That could be a real surprise. I've had high areas that require care to load and unload lumber. If you use a ladder or something like that extra care should be taken for your safety.

Having cabinets on casters is great. They move around more easily than being dragged.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Nothing to be shy about, Anna. Both projects are functional and the cut off bin looks nice, too. The hardwood edging will actually strengthen the shelves. You can always add it later if you decide you need it. With a short span it shouldn't be necessary.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Clemson, SC, USA
                        • Rigid TS3650

Nice job Anna - wish I had the wall space to duplicate it.
                        Ken Weaver
                        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Anna
                          • Feb 2006
                          • CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I thought the scrap sorter was a great idea, too, and, since I had not seen it posted here, I thought it worthwhile to share. Without the casters, it's less than 37" high. I'm sure it can be made as wide and as tall as you'd like, but this suffices in my small shop.

The wall rack design was decided on before the woodnet thread where everyone decided to buy the brackets and standards from Hartville or Lee Valley. I thought that if mine didn't work out, I can always buy the hardware later anyway.

The lumber rack pieces (including the arms) were made from 2 by 4 Douglas Fir and were all cut at an angle of 5 degrees so that they're sloping towards the wall. They're also attached to the studs with 5" lag bolts (four for each upright). The 3/4" plywood that sandwiches the Douglas Fir components in the uprights have four screws each holding them, in addition to glue.

I want to make sure they stay up since I have a vested interest in not having a ton of wood fall on top of my head. I'm playing with the idea of wrapping straps around them, but for now, it seems like they're staying put (I keep listening for a resounding crash in the middle of the night, though, just in case).

I apologize for saying that my stuff aren't good enough. I still think they're not, but that's what pushes me to learn more about woodworking. This time, though, it was trumped by my desire to share what I think some people might find useful. I get a lot of useful ideas here myself, and I wanted to return the favor.

So thanks for looking, and I hope I was able to help some. Happy New Year!

Comment

• John Hunter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                            • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                            John Hunter

Comment

• Ed62
                              The Full Monte
                              • Oct 2006
                              • NW Indiana
                              • BT3K

I like it, Anna! I have very limited space, too. A few days ago, I bolted 2 - 2X4s to the floor joists above my basement workbench. Added 4 arms, and loaded it with lumber. It functions very much like yours. But I don't have a cutoff bin. Now maybe I'll put that on my list of "To do's". Thanks for sharing.

Ed
                              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...