• Show
Clear All
  • theminor
    Established Member
    • Jun 2006
    • Dalton, GA
    • BT3100

Ducting

I can't find 6" S&D pvc for less than $25 for a 10 ft. section. The wyes and turns are quite expensive. I'm considering using HVAC instead, but it would only be worth it with the standard 30 gauge stuff you find a borg or lowes. Has anyone used these for dust collection - I've read that the runs will collaps if you leave all the blast gates but it feels sturdy enough to me.

Other than these, I'm out of ideas for plumbing my shop for dust. I have a new Pentz cyclone with a 5HP motor on it so I'm really wanting to get it set up, but using PVC is going to end up around $300 just for the pipe and fittings and I just think there is a cheaper solution. I'm in the Chattanooga area if anyone knows of any sources.

Thanks - any help would be appreciated!
    My Site
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

26 gauge metal piping is going to be > or = to the cost of 6" S&D. 4" S&D is a lot cheaper than metal, but at 6" the pricing gets pretty equal.

I did not set up the DC fine dust portion of my cyclone, rather I vented it outside. I used 8" HVAC pipe and fittings to run the fine dust outside (unheated shop!). The HVAC is fine there obviously, as there is no suction, rather blowing. I do not have the entire unit plumbed as I had to get up and running ASAP. My Bridgewood Cyclone came with a 8" to (3) 4" reducer and I just ran lines from that into my old 4" S&D. Quite honestly I am really pleased with the way it is working right now. I may make a 6" run and then wying off 4" drops. My TS is 4", RT is 4" , jointer 4", CMS 4", Drum sander (2) 4". My planer is 5" and I have it reduced to 4" right now, though I would love to have it 5" as that was the only real tough tool for my old 2hp HF to keep up with. That would really be the only reason I need to go to a 6" is the 5" planer. I don't know that it would be worth it.
    On sawmillcreek they will have lots of suggestions for you and all with argue that 6" main is the only way to go. If you went Pentz it sounds like you may be of the same orientation as some of those folks. Having said that, yes you are going to spend $300 (I would guess average duct work cost for cyclone) , so why not use metal which will reduce your static charge. Penn State Industires has a great selection of duct work and they have decent prices.
    What tools are you running, how many gates are open and how what size is the ports on the tools?
    Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 12-09-2006, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• newood2
      • Aug 2004
      • Brooklyn, NY.
      • BT3100-1

I use 26 gauge metal from a roofing supply store. 5" dia. on the horizontal runs and 4" on the vertical drop. I have the HF 2hp DC.
      Howie

Comment

• theminor
        Established Member
        • Jun 2006
        • Dalton, GA
        • BT3100

Is 30 gauge just too thin? When I felt it it seemed like it could take a lot of pressure, but I wonder if anyone has seen it buckle?
        My Site

Comment

• newood2
          • Aug 2004
          • Brooklyn, NY.
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by theminor
          Is 30 gauge just too thin? When I felt it it seemed like it could take a lot of pressure, but I wonder if anyone has seen it buckle?
          Yep, I'd say it's too thin.

Howie

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.
            • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Not trying to sound too harse, but you went with a the Pentz 1400 CFM w/ a 5 HP motor and you are concerned about spending $300 on ducting?

I could see some concern if the ducting was going to cost as much or more than the DC you are running, but $300 in relation to a $1300 DC is not really that bad.

If you can't afford it right now, my suggestion would be to wait until you can, going with what they suggest is your best bet. No sense in spending $150 on ducting only to find out your runs colapse when you turn it on, then your out $450.
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• theminor
              Established Member
              • Jun 2006
              • Dalton, GA
              • BT3100

Originally posted by JTimmons
              I could see some concern if the ducting was going to cost as much or more than the DC you are running, but $300 in relation to a $1300 DC is not really that bad.

Hey, I spent nowhere near $1300 on this thing!

I understand that its going to cost a lot, maybe even $300, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any secret tricks that could help me keep the cost as low as possible. Of course I want to do it right! It sounds like the 30 gauge stuff is simply out of the question.

Anyone know of a place local to Chattanoog that sells 6" S&D pipe for a good price? The cheapest I've found is $25, but Lowes caries 6" pressure PVC for the same price and it is much closer for me to go to Lowes, so that is the route I'm currently thinking I'll take...
              My Site

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

How long is that $25 piece? You can get 25ft of 6" metal for $60.00 at Penn State Industries. I would rather have metal v. S&D/PVC due to static, weight, etc.

Comment

• theminor
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2006
                  • Dalton, GA
                  • BT3100

How long is that $25 piece?
                  Ten feet. I didn't realize the prices at penn state were that good. Only problem is shipping. "For pipe we will add 20% of the sub total, $15 min" according to the website. That'd make 25 feet $72. Still not bad, but more than $62 for the same amount of pvc. For fittings, they only add 10% to the cost, so it isn't that bad, but the fittings are still expensive (nice but expensive). I might go with these in any case since the price is similar. I'm still thinking through all this. My latest thought is to make square ducting from melamine or plywood.
                  My Site

Comment

Working...