• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

New air compressor.

Well as I have said many times I have what I consider to be a very small shop with entirely too much stuff in it. With my quest to get organized and free up some room one of the things that had to go was my old air compressor. I have had this unit for a long time and it still functions great but being a twin cylinder, 3 HP with a fairly large tank it just took up so much room that I decided to move it back to the garage.

Well since then I have really decided that I miss having the compressor in the shop a lot. So with that I started shopping for a much smaller unit to put out there. I compared about everything on just about all the smaller units locally available but really what was most important to me was the SCFM rating. For me the ability to run my tools without interruption is pretty important. What a came up with is this one;

http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...AIR-COMPRESSOR

I decided to take off the first part of the week and with that give myself a whole week off with the impending holiday. So this morning I got the new compressor in the shop and cranked up. OMG! This thing is LOUD! It absolutely resonates through the shop and actually almost hurts my ears! It does however pump up to 150 pounds faster than anything I have ever seen but my God the noise! If I am out there doing something and concentrating and this thing kicks on I think it will scare the crap out of me!

I think I may have to build some type of little cabinet hanging off my building to house this thing, I don’t think my nerves can take it!

Ken
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

I have the same compressor. It is a little loud but it sits outside the shop with a hose through the wall. It does the job real well.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

Once upon a time I bought a 60g Craftsman oilless that I just couldn't stand. I finally ended up selling it and taking a loss so that I could replace it with a 60g Husky oil type. The Husky isn't exactly 'quiet', but compared to the Craftsman it's like comparing a DC to a shop-vac. I have vowed that I will NEVER let another oilless compressor into my shop again.

Good luck with yours, I wish you the very best as I had put up with that craftsman for 3 years or so before finally offing it so I know exactly what you mean.
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• MilDoc

Yup. Oiless compressors will kill your hearing. But mine is already gone, so ... huh?

Comment

• Cheeky
          • Nov 2006
          • westchester cty, new york
          • Ridgid TS2400LS

the PC pancake 135 psi compressor that came with my 3pc nailer kit, might look cute, but it's offensively loud.
          Pete

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah, the oilless are ear-splitters, thats why when you buy your next one make it "oil lubed"! My woodworking buddy across the road got his "oilless" before I bought mine. Guess what kind I have?
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
              Yeah, the oilless are ear-splitters, thats why when you buy your next one make it "oil lubed"! My woodworking buddy across the road got his "oilless" before I bought mine. Guess what kind I have?
              Truer words were never spoken! My PC pancake came with a set as others have mentioned. My next compressor will be a) larger, and b) oiled!

Comment

• JSCOOK
                • Sep 2006
                • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

Yup those Oilless compressors are definitely deafening! ... rented one to try for a small product before we bought a compressor, and ended up returning it early as I couldn't stand the noise!

Could build a small shed/shelter on the outside and run an airline thru the wall if outside space allows ...
                "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

I made the same mistake when buying a compressor, oilless it really loud.
                  I built an MDF cabinet with sound deading material on the inside of it for the compressor. now it is just a deep bass sound not the ear splitting higher frequencies.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• eweu
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Aug 2006
                    • Silicon Valley, CA

For what it's worth, Thomas makes oil-less compressors that are about as quiet as or quieter than most oil lubricated compressors. I have the T-2820ST and it's rated at 74 db. It's a great compressor and I'm very happy with it. Made in the USA too.

Comment

Working...