• Show
Clear All
  • movnup
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Seattle
    • BT3000

Air Compressor / Combo Questions

I was wondering if anyone had any experince with Harbor Freight's A.C.'s (Central Pnuematic). They have a 1 3/4 horse 8 gallon for $110 shipped. I have been using my neighbor's 1.5 HP 6 gallon Bostich (and his framing gun) all summer and need to get my own compressor.

Also if anybody has any experience with the combo kits where they include the brad nailer ... some posts talked about pricing anywhere from $20 at H.F. to $99 for just the nailer at toolking so I'm not sure what the best value is to get the combo kit on-line versus scouring Criags list and seeing if I can get the framing gun, brad nailer, and A.C. individually as I need them all.

Thanks !!!!
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I've seen the ads for the combo kits. It's probably not a bad deal. For nailers and staplers you don't need big compressor output or air storage. That compressor is small and light. For my on the job nailing and stapleing, I still use the first compressor I ever bought (early 70's) which is a 1/2 hp, 7 gal Speedaire. It's been a workhorse and provides the bursts of air needed. If, you are planning to do spraying or run air tools, you might consider a compressor with greater output and larger storage tank. As for the quality of the guns, I'm past the point of worring about how long they last. I'm so used to paying big money for Duo-Fast and Senco, I can't even think about fixing one of those for the price of a HF gun. I recently bought a 18 ga brad nailer that shoots up to a 2" brad for under $20, how can you beat that!

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

HD just had an ad this week on a Porter Cable combo unit for $269. Includes pancake compressor, 3 nailing guns, hose and connectors. Pretty good deal at that price, for a good basic unit that meets most woodworkers needs.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• WayneJ
        • Jan 2004
        • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

If you don't mind the noise the small combo kits do o.k. II have the P.C. with the finish nailer and have had no problems with it. Its NOISEY. Most oiless compressors are.
        Wayne
        Wayne J

Comment

• movnup
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006
          • Seattle
          • BT3000

I am only going to use it for the woodshop and also to run a framing gun to build an addition. It sounds like the least expensive way to go would be buying the small compressor for HF and also their $20 version of the brad nailer (or brad/stapler combo) and just don't worry about keeping them around. Grizzley just had a round head framing gun for only $99 and I saw a lot of Senco stuff on Craigs List ... are they considered the best???

Comment

• ewingda
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • Winston-Salem, NC
            • BT3100 & SawStop 3HP

I just bought that compressor.

My older 1hp 11 gal compressor died and I was in the middle of framing a 10x16 shed. So I looked around and it was the best deal. I was worried about the name tho.

I went to my local HF (albany, NY) and found the unit for $99. There were some other models that were similar but this does the job. I wanted to get a bigger one for the additionl $50 but I remided myself that I didnt need it.

When I checked out they offered me a 1 or 2 year warranty. The price was $12 & $20 respectively. I was on the fence...but since my compressor had died it seemed like a worthwhile expense. The checkout person ended up giving me 20% off the compressor to sweeten the deal..so that paid for the 2 yr warranty. It is a replacement warranty..not parts/labor.

So on to the performance. It works great. It requires over a quart of 30 wt oil before usage. This helps to make it a bit quieter than the non lubricated models. I have been using it with my 3.5: framing nailer. The compressor pressure switch shuts off at 115psi. I have been running the regulator at approx 90 psi and I get quite a few nails before it kicks on. I have a small leak in my hose connector so that does not help. The kick on pressure is 80 psi (i think). Overall I am very happy with the unit. It is also quite light.

As for nailers. I bought the Iroforce nailers by CampbellHausfeld at Lowes. They were in a 3 pack for $200. It includes a 3.5" framing nailer, 2.5: finish and a brad nailer. I have been happy with them also. I do not do construction for a living so they do the job. The fraimer pounds 3.5" nails all the way into 2x6's...even sinking the head a bit!

I hope this helps!
            Dave Ewing
            woodshop@davidewingjr.us

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I have a PC combo, as does my dad. It can run any nailler out there. We've done roofing with it, framing with it, trim, and brads for tacking furniture together "until the glue dries". Havn't had any troubles. It won't power a spray system, but for nail gun, it's a nice mobile size to have.

I agree though, it's a noisy little machine.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• WayneJ
                • Jan 2004
                • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

In the harbor frieght where I work they have a central pneumatic, 2 hp, 8 gal 110 v on sale for 99.99 with good scfm #. Item #40400 regular price 169.99 I might just have to spring for that one.
                Wayne
                Wayne J

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Last week I saw a WEN Compressor Kit (Model # 2283) at PepBoys :

3 Gal, Max 125 PSI, 9.4 Amp, 1.5HP, 3.7CFM @40, 2.4CFM @90 PSI. It was marked at $99, with a further Mail-in-rebate of $10. It included a 18g, 2" Brad Nailer and a 25 ft hose.

Since I need a compressor for my new Critter sprayer, I might go for this one for its higher CFM; the brad nailer would be bonus, seeing i don't have any.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• movnup
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • Seattle
                    • BT3000

Decesions Decesions ...

I was all set after ewingda's response to go pick up the H.F. but looking at todays posts they have a very sweet deal on a Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake with two brad guns / accessories for $199 less $25 supersaver at Amazon w/ free shipping. I have never bought any porter cable products but I guess I'm torn on being able to easily move the pancake to the job site (likely just the back of my house) verus the larger 8 gallon at HF with wheels. I also was thinking of how it would fit in my shop for ease of use. By the time you buy the brad gun, accesory kit, and compressor they are within $25 bucks of each other. What's everyone think the best deal is ??? I still need the framing gun but Grizzley had a presidents special for $99 that looked legit for the occasional framing I would be tackeling this spring ....

Comment

• mac_daddy
                      Forum Newbie
                      • May 2006
                      • Sugar Land, TX
                      • BT3000

My PC compressor combo kit arrived, check the other link for more info: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=24551

Comment

• movnup
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2006
                        • Seattle
                        • BT3000

I broke down and bought the Porter Cable combo from amazon for $154 shipped. The deceiding factor was the two guns included as my honeydo before x-mas list includes multiple pull out shelves for the kitchen cabinets and crown moulding for the house entrance and hallway. Hopefully it won't be too loud, easy to move around, and I'll see how good I am with the guns 20 feet in the air.

Thanks everyone for a great discussion .... I greatly appreciate it!!!!!!

Comment

Working...