• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisD
    • Dec 2004
    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Ripped from the pages of an old FWW...

Hey guys,

Spent a couple of hours today to build this circular-saw cutting bench. I need to cut some MDF boards to use as top for the mobile bases that I'm building (you can see one of them in the background) and have learned that cutting sheet goods on the BT3 -- at least from my experience -- is not really a practical option.

The bench is sacrificial by design but I'm sure it will take many years before I need to replace it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CircularSawStation.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	789530

It's made of 2x4's joined together with 2.5" pocket screws. I bought the banquet table legs from HD. The first pic also shows the very few tools needed to do this project, including the very high-tech corded B&D drill that I've had since 1997. (Please restrain yourselves from making any offers to buy this powerhouse of a tool.)

Name:	PocketHoles.JPG
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	789531

I went more for bearing area than sturdiness, as I don't think cutting sheet goods will create enough racking forces to be a problem. Also, using folding legs allows me to store the bench on its side, significantly reducing the required storage space.

Name:	StoredPosition.JPG
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	789532

Absolutely nothing fancy. Just one example of how you can solve sheet-good-cutting problems without getting frustrated with your BT3 or spending 4 grand on a Laguna TSS.

Thanks for taking the time to look!
    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I did the same thing for a portable work table, but used a hollow core door. Had to make 3/4" mounting plates glued to the underside to carry the leg kit. Works great and very light.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • IL, USA.
      • DELTA 36-675

Very nice, Pare! What are you talking about your shop being messy?? You should see mine
      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• ChrisD
        • Dec 2004
        • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Chris, that's my garage! My shop is in the basement. The bench will stay in the garage where I can cut sheet stock into manageable pieces before I haul them down to the shop.

Thanks for the comment!
        The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

Working...