• Show
Clear All
  • mrojec
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Englewood, CO
    • Ryobi BT3000 (for now)

Retractable partitions

I'm planning to (eventually) set up my shop in 1/3 of my 3-car garage and would like to equip it with some sort of partition that I could deploy when I'm using the shop to keep dust out of the rest of the garage, and then somehow get it out of the way when the shop's not in use. Anybody have a system that they use and like?
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

I used some of the cheap HF plastic tarps. Works great as a dust barrier.
    John Hunter

Comment

• mrojec
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2006
      • Englewood, CO
      • Ryobi BT3000 (for now)

Thanks, John. Do you just hang the tarps on hooks by their grommets, or do you have some sort of roller system? I was thinking of rolling my barrier around a pipe and then raise and lower it with a rope and pulley system. This may be too complicated to setup, but I know the easier it is to use, the more inclined I'll be to use it.
      Mark

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

I just stapled one end then roll them up when not in use and tie them.
        John Hunter

Comment

• dkhoward
          • Dec 2003
          • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
          • bt3000

I went to the local truck stop and bought four of the ratcheting load bars that the truckers use to secure short loads in their trailers. . . they will adjust to fit between floor and ceiling. When I need to hang a temporary barrier, I fit two of these in the opening then string a length of plastic between them. If I need a tight fit at the top, I will slide a piece of dimensional lumber (1 x 3 or 1 x 4 between the top rubber foot and the ceiling and then staple the plastic to the 1x. This is quick easy and expandable.
          Dennis K Howard
          www.geocities.com/dennishoward
          "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• Texas splinter
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Abilene, TX, USA.
            • BT3100

I would get some fairly smooth pipe and mount it highenough that it is not in the way, then get the tarps mentioned by John, get a grommet kit and install extra gromets in one side, then go to a high-end bed-bath & whatever store and buy the shower curtin hooks with little rollers on them. install the tartps like a shower curtin and just pull them back out-of-the way when you are not using them and tie them off.
            "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
            Abilene, Texas

Comment

Working...