• Show
Clear All
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

herc-u-lift question

I'm back with another question.

Got my new bandsaw today. It's the 12" Craftsman bandsaw with the 7" re-saw capability (can't remember the model number right now; too tired to go back to the shed). Anyway, I thought I'd use a herc-u-lift to make it mobile.

While I was drowning in the big pile of parts and pieces that came with the herc-u-lift, not to mention the singularly confusing and unhelpful manual that also came with it, I realized that I can't use the herc-u-lift as is on this particular bandsaw stand. The parts that are supposed to be attached to the legs do not fit the pre-drilled holes.

So, before I get a drill and start messing with the legs, I was wondering if there's something obvious that I'm missing here. Or is there an easy way to use the herc-u-lift on non-Ridgid tools and stands.

Thanks for any clues.
  • jonathan55
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
    • BT3100

What kind of stand does the craftsman come with? I installed on on my BT3, I had to drill holes and found it easier to take the saw off the stand and put the whole thing up on a workbench. I also had to readjust it quite a bit.

It's a great lift and worth it.

Comment

• Anna
      • Feb 2006
      • CA, USA.
      • BT3100

It's exactly the same type and model as this one in a recent thread:
      http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=23791

I was going to steal his pictures and post it here, but I wasn't sure if that was bad form. Anyway, the base measures about 25.5" by 21.5" (outside dimensions). I think the legs are too skinny for the included metal pieces that are supposed to be attached to them. That is, the holes on the metal piece that go on the inside (the one that looks like a triangular piece) are too wide apart for the holes already on the legs.

I have not removed the bandsaw itself from the styrofoam packing because I wanted to get the casters on the stand first. I just got really frustrated with the instructions because they're too specific to each type of (Ridgid) tool instead of just giving a general set of instruction that we don't have to look in a table to follow.

Maybe if I cut a plywood platform.... But then I'll have to worry about securing the stand itself to the plywood.

My head aches.

Comment

• kwgeorge
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Alvin, TX, USA.

We talked about this not too long ago and you should be able to mount the lift on your saw. Mine is a narrower base than yours and the lift is working great. See this thread for a couple of pics on mine.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=23644

Ken

Comment

• Anna
          • Feb 2006
          • CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks for the pointer, Ken. I've got a better handle of what to do now.

Comment

• buddyroo
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2006

From looking at your pics, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you.

Don't get too carried away on the initial setup measurements, and don't tighten things really tight on your first pass through the quagmire. And I believe it is a lot easier to install without the tool on the stand.

Comment

Working...