• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Working height for planer

I'm putting together an adjustable-height stand for a Delta planer(22-580), and trying to figure out a working height that would be most comfortable. I'm 5' 8" tall.
    Any suggestions.

Howie
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If your shop is space-limited, you may want the infeed/outfeed tables to be just slightly higher than your saw, workbench, etc. so that they aren't in the way. Depending on relative heights, your workbench, etc., may be used for infeed/outfeed support.

My shop is so space-limited, that I have to keep my planer on a 10" high cart so it can be stored under my workbench. I usually just roll it out and use it at that height.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Howie,
      My planer does not have its own base, so I just mount it on top of my workbench, which is 33" high, when I need to use it. I find it a comfortable working height; I'm 5'10".
      FWIW, I used the "traditional" method for determining a comfortable height for my workbench: standing straight with my arms down and palms parallel to the floor, it's the distance between my palms and the floor.
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by newood2
        I'm putting together an adjustable-height stand for a Delta planer(22-580), and trying to figure out a working height that would be most comfortable. I'm 5' 8" tall.
        Any suggestions.

Howie
        I'd say planer height is one of the more flexible- I've used them from a foot off the ground to three feet off the ground and it was never an issue. I'm the same height as you btw. If it were a joiner or saw it would make more difference but for a planer make it convenient to store and access.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

If you have the luxury of enough space and are not planning to use other existing tables as in-feed or out-feed, I would grab a piece of stock with both hands. Bend over slightly and flex your arms as if you are going to run it through your planer. When you get the most comfortable height that feels right for you, a designated person you have on-hand runs the tape measure from the floor to the bottom of the piece of stock and you have you height nailed.

I use this method on my work-bench as if hand-planing, my TS, BS, etc. and it works for me. If space or using another pre-existing table for feeds is an issue, then you just have to compromise. And if you are married, Im sure you are already familar with that! ha.. ha...

Good luck, Howie...

Comment

Working...