• Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

ShopNotes #89

I eagerly wait for my next copy of Shopnotes - over the years I've got a lot of great ideas from them. Even if some of the stuff seems "overkill", just looking at the ideas and techniques has good value.

Until now, I've never seen anything that (to me), is just plain dangerous!

A Readers Tip shows how to make a "Table saw Fence Tool caddy" page 4
    It show pencils, a combination square, try square, bevel gauge, ruler and tape measure sitting in it

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want anything sitting on my rip fence that isn't bolted down
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Yeah, there are a bunch of tablesaw storage ideas in that issue, most of which are very good. Stuffing a bunch of tools in the top of the rip fence, though, is pretty goofy.

The tablesaw cabinet plan they have in that issue is very nice. I might just get inspired to do some of that one.

JR
    JR

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I saw that caddy on the rip fence, was thinking what would happen if something fell off the caddy and into the blade. Just don't think that was a better Idea. I want nothing on the saw table execpt the wood, the blade, the fence and the shark. That cabinet was nice. If I had an extra set of rails or a half set I would seriously about doing some thing like that.

Tom

Comment

• kwgeorge
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Alvin, TX, USA.

Years ago while working in a machine shop I used to keep a dial caliper on top of the lathe. This kept them handy so I could take quick reference measurements of the piece I was turning. The lathe top had a lip and I felt I was rather safe in my practice. Unfortunately one day I had a piece in the chuck that was rather out of round and pretty off balance. This caused the lathe to vibrate and yes the calipers fell right on to the spinning piece. Fortunately they missed me but ended up being slung into the bed ways and then against a wall. Of course a several hundred dollar tool was destroyed and I could have been also. As I get older I started thinking about the potential danger in the things that I do. You have a much better chance of avoiding an accident if you look for the potential starting out. In my opinion using ones saw fence as a storage area is just begging for that one time fluke accident. Seems to me that magazine writers and publishers would be more mindful of this epically considering the target audience of a magazine such as this as I bet most of the readers are relatively new to the hobby.

Ken

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Have to agree - nothing added to any tool area as far as I'm concerned.
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

Originally posted by JR
            Yeah, there are a bunch of tablesaw storage ideas in that issue, most of which are very good. Stuffing a bunch of tools in the top of the rip fence, though, is pretty goofy.
            JR
            I agree. My luck I would knock something off.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• warrenp
              Established Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Kentucky, USA.

It seemed pretty obvious to me this was a big problem. I also make sure to double check and remove any extra items on the table.

I have a feeling that we will be seeing a disclaimer from them in the next issue.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

That idea was just "jump off the page stupid" -- glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• Howard
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Plano, Tx.
                  • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

I sent a note to the Shopnotes folks telling them about what an irresponsible design this was. I wonder if I will hear back from them?
                  Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...