• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Is your workshop dedicated to WW?

I was organizing the incredible mass of stuff that was all about my workshop last night. And during that time, I was wondering if most people here have a workshop ONLY for woodworking? My workshop, which I'm really just now truly putting together, has to be good for ALL my projects and store stuff for plumbing, electrical, general home stuff, as well as woodworking...

For those of you who have workshops that are for more than one thing- do you have any tips as far as organizing goes? Do you have all of your hand tools together, or do you seperate your WW hand tools from your mechanics tools from your electrical tools from your plumbing hand tools?

Right now everything's kinda jumbled together....
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Yep, definitely dedicated to wwing! ....and bike storage, and outdoor toys, and gardening stuff, and lawn chairs, and tents, and roller blades, tennis rackets, and ....uh, oh well....guess not.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My shop is essentially set up just for woodworking. I tend to treat what electrical, plumbing, etc. work I do as "on site" work and carry the tools there, and generally buy only what supplies I need at the time rather that maintaining an inventory.

I do store most of my tools in the shop, though. My mechanic's tools are divided between three different tool boxes, all small enough to carry easily. One lives in the bottom of a closet in the dining room, so I'll have what I need to do a small repair without running out to the shop; this one also contains all of my special bicycle tools. All the others are out in the shop, though.

I've been semi-shopping for a rollaway, to replace all these separate small toolboxes and get things organized better, but I don't really have a good place to park it in either the shop or the house.

None of this is addressing your real question, is it?
      Larry

Comment

• rickd
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Yes, my shop is just for woodworking - I don't have enough room for anything else!!
        rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by LarryG
          None of this is addressing your real question, is it?
          Well the question is two-fold, and you addressed my curiosity as to how many people here have a workshop for WW only.

Personally, I do stock parts for electrical and plumbing. I'm ALWAYS doing projects, and I'd rather have the stuff around and save the hour trip. I bought a ten pack of switches and outlets, as well as plate for them last time Menards had their 17% off anything in the bag sale....

Also- I'm a pack rat and have too much crap anyways!!

Comment

• Warren
            Established Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Anchorage, Ak
            • BT3000

Primarily for woodworking. I do have a bench along one wall on which I work on chain saws, soldering, sharpening spades and hoes, and other tool maintainance. It has oil, grease, and fuel stains on it, but if needed, I cobbled together a plywood cover for when I need extra assembly or finishing space. It is higher than all the benches and other tools in the shop and has a £cubby" so I can sit at it and use it for designing. Generally it is set aside for the misc, stuff a homeowner needs to do.

Actually, now that I think of it, my "wood shop" is really my den. It's fairly warm in winter and I can light a cigar, turn on the stereo, read a book, work on projects or just unwind and contemplate the state of the world. There's only one stool and one coffee cup so visitors don't feel particularly welcome and never overstay their welcome.
            A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Roger on the Rock
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2006
              • St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
              • BT-3100

The shop...when it's finished....will just be for WW. Everything else will be done out in the shed.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Mine two is primarily woodworking. It has some stuff scattered around the workbench right now from working on the wiring of my boat trailer but that will soon be put away elsewhere and it will be back to a woodworking shop. In other words, it might occasionally see another project but when that project is done, the materials and tools go elsewhere and it is back to wookworking.

Jim

Comment

• just4funsies
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Florida.
                  • BT3000

My shop is set up for whatever needs done, although it just happens that mostly WW ends up happening there. Can't really bring my car, or my sprinkler system, or my house wiring, or my roof, etc. into the shop.
                  ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

It is now. Now that I threw my wife's car out into the driveway.

Bruce
                    (soon to be homeless)
                    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                      Well the question is two-fold, and you addressed my curiosity as to how many people here have a workshop for WW only.

Also- I'm a pack rat and have too much crap anyways!!
                      To the first part, it's NOT a workshop, if it's for WW only! Then it's a Woodshop!
                      My garage (single one car, no electricity, built for a model A or T) is mostly a lawn shop. My basement houses most everything else, otherwise it would get stolen. Fortunately I am single, so I am considering making a room upstairs, into a different shop, to give me more Woodshop room downstairs (where I have 6' ceilings).

Now, as to the second part, is it being a pack rat, or hording (I can never tell the difference)?
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• maxparot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Since I'm a bit of a "Jack of all trade" my shop tends to reflect that. I started as an electronics hobbiest as a teen and in one form or another it has been my primary trade ever since.
                        In Junior H.S. I took a woodworking class and started doing a lot of DIY projects.
                        In my late teens I became involved in auto restoration and my tool collection started to grow towards those goals.
                        My woodworking tools remained minimal until after I became a home owner and the funds allowed me to set up my shop for more advanced woodworking projects.
                        Opinions are like gas;
                        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Clemson, SC, USA
                          • Rigid TS3650

I share a corner of mine with the LOML's gardening stuff - but WW'ing is the main function. I try to ignore everything else.
                          Ken Weaver
                          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Thalermade
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Ohio
                            • BT 3000

Originally posted by maxparot
                            Since I'm a bit of a "Jack of all trade" my shop tends to reflect that.
                            I kind of stumble into the 'Jack of all trades category.
                            My basement workshop is for "Clean" home repair. I do store electrical, plumbing and this and that in the shop. My son uses the shop for guitar string replacing.
                            To get to the main storage area of our house, that is the holiday decorations, toys from our kids youth, and a bunch of junk, you must go through the shop.

In the garage I have a small workbench with a vise for "Dirty" home repair.
                            Mostly outside stuff, gardening, automotive, bicycles, lawnmowers, etc.
                            I also segregated my tools to the appropriate areas as best as possible.

Russ

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN

I fall under the jack of all trades catagory.... Other stuff I want to get back into are: 1) DIY A/V electronics (amps, DSP, etc) 2) Computer modding 3) Misc home inprovement (want to build DIY concrete countertops to go with my DIY kitchen cabinets) 4)auto maintenance

Once I get everything separated, maybe I'll try to keep all of one type of tool in a separate toolbox, as suggested.

Also, once I get the garage cleaned out I can have a second shop there for the other projects. I just don't want too muich out there, I've already had to replace $1000+ worth of tools from that mistake...

Comment

Working...