• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Adjustable workbench

Has anyone used something like this as the base of your workbench? It's adjustable so I could see it being useful to lower as an assembly table or raising it to use as an outfeed table. I remember seeing this sort of setup in one of my magazines, can't remember which one. Curious to see if anyone has done something similar.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93116
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ryan, check out this link:

www.proguild.com/articles/torsionbox.pdf

My WWing teacher in San Diego built this huge table for his cabinet business.
    He bought an electronically controlled pneumatic lift that sits under his table.
    We saw it in action and it is one of the best ideas I have ever seen. His can
    handle 5000 pounds or something. His outlook on tools and gadgets was, "Go
    big or go home." That 1000lb lift from HF will probably be the minimum
    because you still need to include the weight of your top.

Anyway, the table can be lowered to about 6" off the ground which makes it
    a lot easier for his team to move assemblies on and off. Then it can be raised
    to virtually any comfortable height they need to do whatever they have to do.

Paul

Comment

• IBBugsy
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Allentown, PA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      Ryan, check out this link:

www.proguild.com/articles/torsionbox.pdf
      Quite a table!!!

However, after all the effort to get a perfectly level table, a white plastic laminate was simply glued to the top for a final surface. Wouldn't that "ruin" the perfect level achieved with the laser level, torsion box and vacuum clamping??
      Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
      "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• justaguy
        Established Member
        • Jun 2006
        • Chesapeake VA

Adjust-A-Bench

I saw these benches covered on DIY and since they are located nearby I plan to check them out in person. They are a bit on the expensive side.

http://www.adjustabench.com/about.asp

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by IBBugsy
          However, after all the effort to get a perfectly level table, a white plastic laminate was simply glued to the top for a final surface. Wouldn't that "ruin" the perfect level achieved with the laser level, torsion box and vacuum clamping??
          I don't see why, since the laminate is a uniform thickness across its entire area. The only remaining variable is the thickness of the contact cement, but that would be neglible, and the same potential for error would exist where the torsion box's skins join the eggcrate structure.

Unless I'm missing something (a condition to which I've grown accustomed ...)
          Larry

Comment

• IBBugsy
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Allentown, PA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by LarryG
            I don't see why, since the laminate is a uniform thickness across its entire area. The only remaining variable is the thickness of the contact cement, but that would be neglible, and the same potential for error would exist where the torsion box's skins join the eggcrate structure.

Unless I'm missing something (a condition to which I've grown accustomed ...)
            I was thinking that you wouldn't get complete coverage of cement so there would be "air pockets" and a chance for deflection in those spots. However, I guess if you're working on the table, the weight of whatever you working on would push the cover down and therefore level?

I don't do anything requiring this amount of precision but it appears the professionals do? Just a curious engineer here.....
            Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
            "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by IBBugsy
              I was thinking that you wouldn't get complete coverage of cement so there would be "air pockets" and a chance for deflection in those spots. However, I guess if you're working on the table, the weight of whatever you working on would push the cover down and therefore level?

I don't do anything requiring this amount of precision but it appears the professionals do? Just a curious engineer here.....
              I don't think my teacher worried too much about deflection. At the college,
              he is considered the guru of plastic laminate--no joke. He even teaches a
              class in it. I think his table will be just fine.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I question how stable this cart would be to work on. In adding a larger worksurface, it would be even a bigger issue. Maybe just having it under a bench to lift it, then blocking up the legs would be the trick. IMHO.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• sthompson82
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2005
                  • woodstock, ga.

Interesting topic to me...

I brought home a hi/low medical table frame from work a while back with the idea to make a hi/low bench. My plan was to just attach an old solid core door and a layer of mdf, wrapped in some maple. I know that there will be a small amount of movement with the frame, and that is the only thing that is keeping me from putting the work into it. Thoughts?
                  I do what I do

Comment

Working...