• Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
    Paul,
    The HF 2hp DC pulls around 7 amps at 110 volt, but I'm gonna rewire that for 220 to cut the ampere load.
    Ken, how can the HF DC motor be rewired for 220v? I didn't know that was possible. Is there a wiring diagram that shows how to do this?

Howie

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Basically, 200amps is a glut of power to about any residence - unless maybe your heat is 100% electrical. A household heated by non-electric means uses very little juice. Most circuits are sized to accomodate the starting amps, which tend to be fairly high - but running amps are rather low. For example, if you have to cut main power in order to work on the panel, and have many appliances wired directly in (fridge, heater, ACs etc) it is a good idea to flip individual breakers to off before throwing the main - and then flip the breakers on one by one to minimize started loads. I HAVE seen main trip right back off when all major appliances all tried to restart at once.

So, 200 amp service with a 100amp shop subpanel should be more than plenty for you.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! It looks like I don't have to go gonzo over this upgrade.

Paul

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by newood2
          Ken, how can the HF DC motor be rewired for 220v? I didn't know that was possible. Is there a wiring diagram that shows how to do this?

Howie
          Howie,
          Danged if I know now. The name plate says 110/220, the manual and the HF site say 110. I'll find time to take the cover off and look at the connections to see if it's dual voltage or if the name plate is stamped incorrectly.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
            Howie,
            Danged if I know now. The name plate says 110/220, the manual and the HF site say 110. I'll find time to take the cover off and look at the connections to see if it's dual voltage or if the name plate is stamped incorrectly.
            I've torn mine apart, but not found any way to change it to 220V.

JR
            JR

Comment

Working...