• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Another DC post

I've been researching the topic of DC for a couple of months now and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Delta 50-760 for the shop. Ideally I want to set up duct work to connect to each machine so the location of the dc will stay fixed. After reading a few posts on woodnet i get the feeling that the 50-760 is not adequate for a ducting setup and should be used more along the lines of moving it from machine to machine. Also Bill Pentz himself had a posting on there saying it's better to use a shop vac for machines with a 2 1/2 inch port unless you can change it out to a larger opening. I've read many posts on this forum where i've read good reviews on the delta and other dc's in the 1.5hp class where they are used for a duct setup. It's very interesting to see the conflicting interpretation of consensous between woodnet and here. I was very gung ho about this purchase but after reading stuff off of woodnet i'm starting to second guess the purchase. Maybe i'm totally off base and my interpretation is totally skewed?
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

There are several factors that affect the overall performance of a dust collection system. Impeller size, horsepower, type of bags or canister used, size and length of the ducts, and blastgates are some of the variables. Obviously, dust collection is better for the unit with the larger horsepower if all other specs are the same.

I had a Delta 1-hp system which I moved from machine to machine and was quite satisfied with the filtration. I would guess that a 1-1/2 hp unit would be adequate for a plumbed system if the duct work is not too long and if the unit is connected to only a few machines with blastgates.

Bill Pentz's website has a lot of good info but don't be frighten by it. The fact is that any filtration is better than none.

PS. Continue to wear a dust mask or respirator with any dust collection system.
    ________
    Live sex
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• Ishmel
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2005
      • St. Cloud, MN.

I did a considerable amount of research and decided on the 50-760 as well. With the 1 micron felt bag, the 11.5" impeller and the 1 1/2 hp motor it is "hands down" the best value in it's class. You'd end up spending as much to upgrade most other systems as the Delta costs to buy outright. I have no intention of ducting to mine, I'm planning to use a 5" connector and smooth hose from Lee Valley for most of my bigger dust makers (jointer, planer, sanding table). But I don't think you'll loose too much to static pressure if you use smooth metal ducts and keep the runs as short as possible.

You should feel good about your purchase, you made a good decision.

d

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I'd think that unit would drive a plumbed system.

You might want to go for awhile with the move-the-hose-from-machine-to-machine method to get a flavor for how the thing will work. You'll also find out what a pain it is to have 4" hose lying underfoot in the middle of your project.

JR
        JR

Comment

Working...