Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Portable AC/heat unit and insulation

The house we're buying has a 2 car detached garage. Wall studs and roof
    rafters are exposed and there's no insulation. Only a window in the garage
    side door and none other. Oh yeah, here's the biggie...the house is in a
    historic district! I don't know why I keep doing this to myself considering my
    last experience with an HOA.

Anyway, we need to get approval for any outside changes. I'd like to decide on
    the heating/cooling before I start putting in insulation and walls. I could get
    approval for a window and window unit but I was thinking I want to do the
    shop on the sly and not attract too much attention. Did I mention I am also
    next door to a bed and breakfast?

I saw a "portable" AC/heating unit that rolls around. There's a pipe that is used
    for venting which is usually propped in an open window. I think it would be
    pretty easy to install like a dryer vent on the outside of the garage and keep
    this install pretty low key. Anyone use one of these?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Paul

I've never used one of the portable units, but I'm just going to give you some things to think about, like uneducated input. If it's a roll around unit, it sits on the floor using up floor space, and you are limited by cord length, (try to stay away from extension cords). Being on or near the floor, it has the unfortunate ability to be the recipient of the dust and heavy particle that floats down. The air exchange is proportionate to the ability of movement, and a duct tube sounds like there might be some restriction. The unit sounds like a catch-all type for a real problem area, maybe not the most efficient. If you are either running the A/C or heat, that means you are working in a closed area, which I call HAZARDOUS CONFINEMENT. The last thing you want to do is create a clogged condition in the unit and your lungs.

My suggestion would be a window unit that might be able to be "disguised" from the outside with some decorative grill or shutter which fits into the style of the historic district in which you live. Our last home was in a HOA, and I mean to tell you it will be the last one. Some people have nothing better to do than create havoc.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Napoleon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Milwaukee, wi, USA.

Mr. Slim

I've seen a commercial about this unit: http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Categ...tCategoryID=24
      Seems to be rather interesting. I'm going to look into it for our cabin. Upon further looking at the website, there appears to be a rather small outside unit. Should be able to "hide" that pretty easily?
      Lots of luck
      Mark

Comment

• charliex
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

My son uses one of those units in his freightliner, powered by a 5kw generator that we mounted under the bed of the truck so he don't have to run the engine when parked. It works fairly well but it does vent the cool inside air through the heat exchange coils and outside. Not very efficent. My idea would be to mount the AC in the attic and put a small hanging heater on the celing. In the summer I use sweat (powered by beer) to stay cool and in the winter I use a 220 volt 17,500 BTU ceiling unit to heat my Minnesota 2 stall and it works fine. Gas (HotDawg type) would be cheaper to run but then you have to deal with running pipe. My .02 worth.
        Chas

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

I saw another thread on Woodnet recently which mentioned some mini-split systems (like the Mr. Slim), but not much more expensive than a portable AC unit. Do a search a search on ebay for mini-split and you'll find systems as low as $400 (buy it now), and you can usually get a better deal going to the company's website rather than through ebay. Someone had mentioned some of the newer systems can even be installed yourself, or you might be able to do most of the setup yourself and just get a HVAC guy to come in to do the final connections. If neighbors have AC in their houses, they couldn't really complain about you installing one of these since it is no different than the standard AC condenser showing outside, except smaller. These systems will also give you heat for the winter.
          Eric

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by charliex
            My son uses one of those units in his freightliner, powered by a 5kw generator that we mounted under the bed of the truck so he don't have to run the engine when parked. It works fairly well but it does vent the cool inside air through the heat exchange coils and outside. Not very efficent. My idea would be to mount the AC in the attic and put a small hanging heater on the celing. In the summer I use sweat (powered by beer) to stay cool and in the winter I use a 220 volt 17,500 BTU ceiling unit to heat my Minnesota 2 stall and it works fine. Gas (HotDawg type) would be cheaper to run but then you have to deal with running pipe. My .02 worth.
            Chas
            AC in attic, bad idea. Hard to service and replace parts as well as not enough airflow IMO.

Heater on ceiling, worse idea. Heat rises. Radiant Floor heating under rubberized mats will work much better and be movable.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• dlminehart
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • San Jose, CA, USA.

I checked on the pricing for a Mr. Slim, and it looks like about $1200 for a bedroom-sized unit, $1500 for a two-bedroom unit. That's a bit steep for my budget. Nice looking unit, though!
              - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

I would go with a propane heater in the garage. You would only have to worry about filling the tank, which you can keep inside. You can get either a radiant heater or a convection heater, both have advantages / disadvantages.

For the AC I would go with a window AC, and mount it in the wall you should be able to hide it.

For the Bed and Breakfast next door, fire up that Table Saw, Jointer, Dust Collector, etc at 8:00 AM, don't forget to test start / run your chainsaw every weekend to keep it in working condition.
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• dbray
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2006
                  • Bedford NS
                  • BT3000

I have one

Nobody who replied to your post actually seems to have one of these roll around units. I got one after splitting with the ex and moving into an apartment. I now have a large house with a 23X24 attached shop (garage). I used it as part of my heating scheme last winter and it was fine. You do have to keep it clean, just like the getto blaster in my shop, that goes without saying. But as I said never a problem. I don't use the A/C in the shop, it goes into my bedroom for the summer. My bedroom os 17X20 and I can keep it cold enough that the duvet never gets kicked of during the night. So i would say go for it. Just wipe or blow the dust off as required and clean the filters a little more often than you would in a clean enviroment.

Regards, Daryl In Nova Scotia
                  I never seem to make anything but saw dust.
                  Daryl in Nova Scotia

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbray
                    Nobody who replied to your post actually seems to have one of these roll around units. I got one after splitting with the ex and moving into an apartment. I now have a large house with a 23X24 attached shop (garage). I used it as part of my heating scheme last winter and it was fine. You do have to keep it clean, just like the getto blaster in my shop, that goes without saying. But as I said never a problem. I don't use the A/C in the shop, it goes into my bedroom for the summer. My bedroom os 17X20 and I can keep it cold enough that the duvet never gets kicked of during the night. So i would say go for it. Just wipe or blow the dust off as required and clean the filters a little more often than you would in a clean enviroment.

Regards, Daryl In Nova Scotia

Thanks Daryl. How many BTUs is your setup?

Paul

Comment

• dbray
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2006
                      • Bedford NS
                      • BT3000

I can't check as I'm 250 miles off the coast on Newfoundland on a oil rig right at the moment but 9000 btus comes to mind.

Regards, Daryl
                      I never seem to make anything but saw dust.
                      Daryl in Nova Scotia

Comment

• hobkirk
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Acton, MA, home of the original Minuteman - about 20 miles West of Boston

Mike, the Russian Wolf...
                        Radiant Floor heating under rubberized mats
                        What are you talking about? I really would love to discover there is such a thing...

Paul, the "atgc"...

Window AC's are really easy and really cheap (to buy).They are also real eyesores. Maybe the following idea might halp you.

If you cut a hole through an outside wall (low? in back? under a deck?) sized for your AC, you could easily make your own sleeve. Then it wouldn't cut down on your limited window space, you could set it where it is convenient for your floor plan, and maybe you can make it so it is completely hidden from your neighbors. And good AC's can be pretty quiet.

I have one in my office mounted under the center window in a bay. Outside it has a decorative frame that mirrors the decorative square on the other bay window and I've hidden it with some holly bushes and rhodos. I throw a rectangular planter on top of it during the summer filled with red flowers. I could have made it invisible if I had any reason.
                        Doug Hobkirk
                        WOOD LOON

Comment

• D_Epler
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Doha, Qatar (Persian Gulf)
                          • Delta Unisaw (3 HP LT)

ATGC Paul,
                          The other poster that mentioned Mitsubishi split ductless systems hit on a good system. I installed TWO of them when I added a sunroom and AC'd IT AND my shop.

On the inside is a small wall mounted unit around 40" W x 12" tall that comes out about 8" from the wall...outside is a small unit that is VERY QUIET and very narrow (you can barely hear it from 10 ft away).

Pictures are here:
                          http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_ph...hop_AC_CloseUp
                          and
                          http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_ph...&id=Both_Units

let me know if you need more info...just be aware that they are not inexpensive...but they DO work really well. When it was 98 outside I had the shop below 70!

HTH

David Epler

Comment

• davwho
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Petawawa Ontario
                            • BT3100

im a refrigeration tech in canada, deal with those units all the time ,make sure its vented,(like a dryer vent) ,and always ,always check and clean the filters (very important) and you will be fine

Comment

Working...