• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

How many amps?

I'm getting ready to run electricity out to my (almost finished) new shop. Any advice on how much electric I need? I'm thinking 100 amps...

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by gsmittle
    I'm getting ready to run electricity out to my (almost finished) new shop. Any advice on how much electric I need? I'm thinking 100 amps...
    60 is probably enough, given that it's a hobby shop where you'll be running lights, a radio, a DC, and one tool at any given moment.

100 would be plenty.

JR
    JR

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I wouldn't go any less than 100A. I have 60A and while it's enough, I had to do some futzing around at the subpanel (which I installed when I set up the shop) to get the load balanced between the two legs so I wouldn't get dimming lights when a high-amp start-up load came on line.

In addition to the items JR mentioned, there might also be an air compressor kicking on and off automatically, and some sort of heating/cooling system (even if it's just a fan in summer, and a small electric heater in winter).

I wouldn't go any less than 100A.
      Larry

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
        g.
        That's exactly what I'm planning for my new shop (Still in planning stages). I figure I'll need (3) 20 Amp Circuits, 1 for each wall, plus (2) 15 Amp Light circuits and a 220VAC Circuit for my Arc Welder. And a couple of Spare 20 Amp Circuits, just in case.

Keep in mind that all Circuits will not be in use at the same time. I figure (2) 20 Amp, (2) 15 Amp, and maybe 1 other one.
        Last edited by gmack5; 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM.
        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Your thinking is good 100 amps will serve you well. The price difference for 60-100 isn't enough to justify skimping. You'd kick yourself if you had the chance to put in high amp service and found you needed it later.
          I have 100 amps to my shop with it there is a nice sized breaker panel w/ 2 dedicated 30 amp 220 lines and 6 110 circuits.
          Of the 110 circuits 1 is dedicated to lighting another to Airconditioning
          leaving 4 circuits for tools and a couple of open slots in the breaker panel for expansion.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

Working...