Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Moving big tools into basement shops

For those of you with a basement shop, how did you get your big tools
    down the stairs? Industrial furniture dolly? Teleporter?

My big tool (heavy) purchases are going to be a cabinet saw and maybe a
    European style 17" bandsaw. A little down the road maybe a jointer. I don't
    want to have to strip down the tools and rebuild them to save myself from a
    hernia.

Anyone have one of those basement cellar doors added? The kind that have
    stairs leading down to the basement through a door in the house foundation?

Thanks, Paul
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I hear gravity works real good!

Seriously, I don't know. I'm fortunate enough to have a 20x20 outbuilding for my shop. I assume either people have taken the tools down into the basement in pieces and assembled in the basement or hopefully have some sort of exterior access. Begs to ask the question...how do you get completed projects back upstairs?
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• lkazista
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Paul,
      my neighbor recently added "Bilco" doors, took 3 days. 1 day witha back hoe to dig it all out, 1 door to drop the door in and bolt it on, and then a 'finish carpentry" day to intsall the interior door, and clean up.

Cost him $4,500 complete, no permits required here (PA), he says it is worth every penny.

Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by lkazista
        Paul,
        my neighbor recently added "Bilco" doors, took 3 days. 1 day witha back hoe to dig it all out, 1 door to drop the door in and bolt it on, and then a 'finish carpentry" day to intsall the interior door, and clean up.

Cost him $4,500 complete, no permits required here (PA), he says it is worth every penny.

Lee
        Thanks Lee. I'll look into this. To be clear, your neighbor had someone else do this and they
        also broke through the foundation wall?

Maybe I should buy gym equipment and a weight belt to get ready for this
        move.

Paul
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 07-17-2006, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I have always broke down and reassembled my tools (have had a hernia fixed). As I have no place for outside access (and wouldn't want it due to crime rate, thanks meth) I have always considered building a sled, that a crane would hook to the door frame, or an overhead block and tackle setup. I got the later idea from another woodworkers shop, that I believe has been posted here before. Wish I still had the link.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I haven't taken anything overly large down my stairs:

17" Floor DP
            6" Jointer -- closed stand
            14" band saw -- closed stand
            2HP DC

Only the first item was in a single box, so it was definitely the biggest and bulkiest.

I took everything down the stairs by myself by sliding the boxes while controlling them from the downhill side. If anything had been too big to handle by myself, I think I would still use the same approach, but with a second person on the stairs with me.

You could also control the descent by putting a 2x4 across the top doorway of the stairs, and using a block and tackle, or similar. In this case, a couple planks on the stairs would allow for better sliding.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• Thalermade
              • Dec 2002
              • Ohio
              • BT 3000

Except my BT3000 which started off in the garage, all my big tools were new purchases still in the box and added after I had been awarded shop space in the basement,

Ridgid Jointer - carried down in pieces to assemble

Hitachi bandsaw in box- put small rug underrneath - slid it across the hardwood floor in the kitchen to the basement steps. Removed rug as I transferred it to a piece of cardboard to slide dwon the carpeted steps. Loaded on two-wheeler at bottom of steps to take around the corner to the shop.

Hitachi Drill press in box - see hitachi bandsaw

Russ

Comment

• WayneJ
                • Jan 2004
                • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Got any large friends? Time to call in a few favors. Getting them down is easy, getting them back up is another story.
                Wayne J

Comment

• lkazista
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  Thanks Lee. I'll look into this. To be clear, your neighbor had someone else do this and they
                  also broke through the foundation wall?

Paul
                  Yeah, actually my other neighbor just had it done by the same guy. It is a one man show. He uses the back hoe as his helper. Our walls are poured concrete not block, but I do not think that mattered to him.

Both neighbors were begging for an inspecter to come out (some dude cutting through the exterior wall of your house seems like it would warrant it), but the township told both of them that is did not require it. BTW - if they added a window to the house, they would have needed a permit.

Lee

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a shop in a basement and plus I have a really nasty staircase, narrow with 90% turn. My tools are not that big (BT3100, 12" bandsaw, 14"DP), getting them down was not that hard. Getting the refrigerator out of the basement was much harder. Bringing a full sheet of 3/4" plywood down that staircase is priceless. Getting a separate entrance would be a dream but not realistic I am afraid.
                    Alex V

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Problem solved!

Thanks for the replies everyone. In the end we didn't bid on the house with
                      only basement shop space. We're getting the one with the detached 2 car!
                      LOML loved this house so much that I made a deal that if we bid on this higher
                      priced one, I get the garage. More questions to ensue.

Thanks, Paul

Comment

• lkazista
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Sounds like a win-win.

Hope the bidding goes well.

Lee

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

Here in South Carolina they only build walk-out basements. The shop part of ours has it's own driveway and garage door. Our last home had the garage in the basement and the front part was my shop.

I am interested in the answers but quite happy with my arrangement.

Jim

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                            Thanks for the replies everyone. In the end we didn't bid on the house with
                            only basement shop space. We're getting the one with the detached 2 car!
                            LOML loved this house so much that I made a deal that if we bid on this higher
                            priced one, I get the garage. More questions to ensue.

Thanks, Paul
                            I am interested in what you end up with, and if that house has a teleporter (you mentioned in the first post).
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              I am interested in what you end up with, and if that house has a teleporter (you mentioned in the first post).
                              We are officially in escrow! We close August 24. It is definitely a buyer's
                              market, but for the price we are paying, the house should come with a
                              teleporter. Today is the home inspection. It's only 10 years old but I'm going in
                              there with my magnifying glass and a list of questions for the inspector--like
                              how much power is currently running into the shop.

Paul

Comment

Working...