• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Table top for Bench top

I picked up a solid Beech table top from IKEA.
    I know I shouldn't be so lazy, but for $49 it was a steal.
    I couldn't buy the wood for that price.

Anyways, my question is the suitablility for this as a router table top.
    Should I attach the Beech to a piece of 1" MDF that I already have and just apply a finish to it, or should it be solid enough on it's own, maybe with a couple of stiffener underneath?
    The Router table top will be fitting between my BT rails and about 30" long at most. My cut-out needs to be I think 11"x9-3/4" for Jessem Mast-R-Plate.

Should I still put a plastic laminate on the top regardless?
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I wouldn't use solid wood in a RT top...

I would worry about flex as it expands and contracts. I would stick with MDF and laminate it. If nothing else, you will probably end up with slop around your plate.
    Joe

Comment

• bigsteel15
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Edmonton, AB
      • Ryobi BT3100

Thought so, maybe I'll get a second one and make a new benchtop for my portable workbench. Then I can make it bigger and put a real tail vise and my 9" side vise.
      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I think it could work just fine. Just allow for expansion/contraction like you would with any table top. In this case, if you're using Al angle, for instance, then enlarge the hole in the angle and use a panhead screw into the bottom of the tabletop. Maybe use a washer, too, so the screw head can move against the Al.

You can also attach some ribs underneath to keep it nice and flat, like you mentioned.

I personally wouldn't put plastic laminate on top, because I think the wood itself would look much nicer. If/when the original finish begins to wear, sand it down and slap some poly on it.

Good score!

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

Working...