• Show
Clear All
  • paynea
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop/Garage Floor Covering

Right now I'm tempted to use the garage flooring tiles currently on sale at Costco as a floor covering for our 2-car garage/shop. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&Browse=

Originally, I'd been planning to put down a nice two-part epoxy finish, but realize that will be a lot of time and cleaning, when I'd rather be damaging wood and playing with the new baby. The idea of carting all of that cast iron down to the basement, up into the house, or *gasp* out in the yard while scrubbing, washing, priming, painting, curing doesn't appeal to me either. Plus I assume this flooring may be less slippery when wet or sawdusted than epoxy (yet easier to clean than a sanded non-slip).

Any thoughts about "MotoFloor" polypropelene locking tiles as a substrate for a dual use garage/wood shop environment? I'm in New England, so a non-porous surface would be much easier to clean than the concrete when salty slush (squeege) or wood dust find their way to the floor.

I have 4 days to pull the trigger while the sale lasts, so I particularly welcome any timely encouragement or cautionary advice,

Thanks all

Adam

ObBT3K: I must assume that a BT on a Ridgid Herc-U-Lift, owing to it's ultralight design would not create a risk of wheel dents in the polypro plastic tiles. I wonder however about some of the cast iron tools like the Grizz 14" BS (G0555) and wish-listed Grizz 6" jointer (G0452)? Or for that matter the folding Harbor Freight utility trailer (about 300 lbs) on it's 4 tiny casters. Hmmm.
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

8 boxes at $90 = $720. I went with the 1-part (actually: wash, etch, prime, paint makes 4 parts!) epoxy paint from Behr for about $50. Not as robust as the 2-part epoxy for $300 or so, but a lot nicer looking than my old grubby floor.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• newbie2wood
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • NJ, USA.

If money is not a major issue on this project, get the tiles. I painted the garage floor about a year ago using DryLock Garage paint. I thought I did a good job at cleaning and etching the floor prior to applying the one-part epoxy but the paint has started to peel. It is difficult to get the touch up paint to match the color of the floor at this stage due to the floor aging with traffic. Preparation is the key to a good finish but you would not know if you did it correctly until the floor is painted.
      ________
      CatFromGym
      Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:29 AM.

Comment

• paynea
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2006
        • Massachusetts, USA
        • Ryobi BT3100

Good points, I am also concerned about the likelyhood of my success with an epoxy finish, in addition to the serious prep and time commitment. It would be heartbreaking to put in all that work only to have it lift on hot tires or peel in a couple years. I think that double the cost of the sturdy 2-part epoxy doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

With some more creative Googling, I did manage to find some "parallel universe" forums to BT3Central that had some good things to say about this Costco flooring. Someone described putting heavy rolling tool chests on it with no problem, good cleanup properties, and easy install. A lot of car/motorcycle enthusiasts seem suitably impressed, and speculate that it is the same manufacturer behind the scenes as RaceDeck modular flooring, a much pricier option.

But by far, the most fascinating finding was that the car guys put the woodworking guys to shame with their level of obsession. Along with these tiles, this person "pimped his garage" with a lift to store one car above another, banners, and framed artwork. And no one on the forum seems to think it the slightest bit odd! I feel a little like an anthropologist after reading that thread.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50555

Thanks for the words of wisdom folks,

Adamm

Comment

• gravelybob
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2005
          • Camden, Ohio, USA.

Do you know how thick these tiles are?

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

If money is not the object, I'd go with the tiles. Much better for your feet, less work to install, can take it with you, and looks more creative. Everybody I know that has used the epoxy floor stuff complains about it.

As far as adorning the shop, I did have those magnificant tool posters (you know the ones). Also I think just having the walls organized and having the tools displayed is very moving, and inspirational.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

I was watching a thread on this over at garagejunkies forum. They ARE NOT the same as Racedeck. They are thinner (3/8 verses 1/2) don't line up on their mounting holes, and much glossier (show scratchs a lot easier).

Two threads of interest
              http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4392
              http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4410

Hope these answer some of your questions
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• paynea
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2006
                • Massachusetts, USA
                • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the links LinuxRandal, but as far as I could see, the thinner substandard tile was one from Sam's Club. Actually, one of the links from those threads (to http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...t=52266&page=3) had detailed pictures of the tiles, including someone holding up a digital caliper (a hair shy of 1/2"), and another person who called the manufacturer for trim and discovered they OEM tiles to RaceDeck and others.

But the narrow ribs (I assume to failitate water transfer from wet or snowy cards) and 1/2" height are leaving me a bit leery about the suitability under heavy tools on mobile bases. Perhaps I could put a bit of sheet stock in 1/2" under something like a jointer though.

I also wonder if the slope of the 2-3" trim pieces is shallow enough to readily shove the HF folding trailer on 1.5-2" casters into the garage.

I may just take advantage of Costco's exceptionally liberal return policy and go for it. It really seems better than prepping for epoxy.

Comment

Working...