• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Need tool storage ideas

I'm looking for hand-tool organizer plans.

My shop has a number of metal shelving "bookcases" that I use for storage. Rather than just laying my tools on the shelves, I'd like to add some sort of holders that will allow me to organize my tools. So I can tell by glancing that something is missing. I'd prefer something where I don't have to open a drawer to get a tool.

I'm talking abot screw drivers, chisels, hammers, wrenches for router/table saw, etc.

I thought of just building some plywood trays. But thought maybe someone else had a better idea. I've seen stuff in Shop Notes, etc., in the past. But I don't have any of those older issues.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • GeekMom
    • Dec 2004
    • Bonney Lake, WA.
    • Shopsmith Mark V

Rubbermaid-type plastic storage bins come in different sizes, and you can (kind of) see what's inside through the plastic. Use of the included lids would be optional (Tom Miller's design)
    Karen
    <><

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

Make a shop cabinet like most woodshops in a school use. 6' wide double door cabinet thats about 7' high. Has places on the inside of the doors to hang hand tools and shelves,etc inside made to fit each bigger tool. Customize it to your tools.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I used to make wall/board mount tool holders that would screw to the wall or board that look like a dentil moulding. You can vary the width and depth of the slots, and make them as long or as short as you want. It's only one strip of wood approx 2"-3" wide depending on what's going in it. I would line up the groups of shank type tools - phillips screwdrivers, slotted screwdrivers, chisels, awls, nut drivers, and turning tools. Makes a useful layout and impressive too.

I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• bigsteel15
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Edmonton, AB
          • Ryobi BT3100

There is a new magazine out from WOOD that is all shop related plans.
          Mostly jigs and such, but there is a section on storage.
          There is a 3 sided rotating storage rack that uses pegboard that sounds perfect for you. Also some removable totes for storage shelves.
          Brian

Welcome to the school of life
          Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...