• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ishmel
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2005
    • St. Cloud, MN.

Expanding the garage....

Hello Fellas (and Ladies), I have a question for you all. I was given management approval for a garage expansion, but when I laid out the lines for a modest (18X26) expansion, I was told it was too big. So I want you opinion on the compromise. Here's my deal.

I have a 26 X 26' garage that I'm currently working in. I've been collecting an assortment of great tools and machines, but am running out of space. As I was eyeing up expansion space on the back side of the garage, I measured the eaves at 30", so I'm thinking about doing a "lean to" type addition. Management is o.k. with a 4' maybe 5' addition on the back. Should I build it with outside access only for yard and garden tools and supplys, or should I put in a header and have access from the main garage for storing lumber and putting the dc system out there? (insulating it isn't a problem). Does anyone have their DC systems in the unheated rafter space? And advice on that?

Thanks!

d
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

I have some better questions:

1. Did you check with the local permit people to see what they will approve?

2. Is your garage detached?

3. How do you plan to tie in with a new floor?

Your DC should be in a heated/cooled area if your garage is heated/cooled, otherwise you will suck all the warm/cool air out.

If you are only going to add 5', I would use it for yard storage.

Comment

• Ishmel
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2005
      • St. Cloud, MN.

Good questions. The city building inspector plays poker with me every other wednesday during the winters, so that base is pretty much covered.

Garage is attatched to the house.

No plans for the floor yet. I was hoping to get away with a concrete slab, but I may have to put in frost footings.

Good advice on the dc. I can't afford to heat the state of minnesota, so I'll be scratching the idea of going overhead.

Logically I know that I should just use it for yard storage, perhaps some rough lumber, but I REALLY want to make my shop bigger, even if it's only in my head.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

You will be making your shop bigger if you get the yard stuff out of the way. You could put overhead storage aka lofts in the addition to put wood in.

Comment

• sacherjj
          Not Your Average Joe
          • Dec 2005
          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
          • BT3100-1

The Yard shed is the method I used. With a 10x12 shed, I can move enough stuff out of the garage to make room for the shop. That seems like a much easier way to go. Or combine that with wood storage.
          Joe Sacher

Comment

• Ishmel
            Forum Newbie
            • May 2005
            • St. Cloud, MN.

Good posts. You're both right, yard storage solves my problems with the least hassle and expense. Since I'm going up 9 feet, it leaves me room for overhead wood storage as well. Does anyone know how long I'll have to let wood stored in an unheated shed acclimate to a heated garage in the winter before i can use it? I imagine plywood or veneered mdf can be used cold, but solid wood will need to warm up first. And advice?

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

I believe I would go with the yard shed method also. Yard tools and accessories take up a lot of room.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Ishmel
                The city building inspector plays poker with me every other wednesday during the winters, so that base is pretty much covered.
                Depends on how many times you take him to the felt. He may not feel so great about your project if he is financing it because you broke him a few times! LOL!

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Ishmel
                  Does anyone know how long I'll have to let wood stored in an unheated shed acclimate to a heated garage in the winter before i can use it?
                  Absolute minimum of two weeks. Three or four, even better.

Keep in mind that the temperature and humidity of your shop needs to be pretty close to the environment in which the finished project will be placed, otherwise you'll likely have some wood movement issues at that stage, too.
                  Larry

Comment

• Ishmel
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2005
                    • St. Cloud, MN.

That's good to know about the wood movement. I expect that I'll be doing smaller projects in the winter but maybe not. Should I invest in a moisture meter? Any recommendations?

Comment

Working...