• Show
Clear All
  • PJC
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

Anyone use this

If I got it, it would be used with a Ridgid shopvac. Seems like a good value price wise.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I used that kit to plumb the side of my shop that was impossible to reach with my full-size DC. I used two of the blast gates for permanent connections to the dust ports on my CMS and oscillating belt/spindle sander. Two more are located at each end of my workbench, providing places to connect a hose and/or floor wand for general shop cleanup. The fifth gate is at the end of a branch directly above the center of my assembly table; it has a 1-1/4" hose for connections to routers, plate joiner, handheld sanders, etc.

For these purposes the kit works great. One nice side benefit is that I was able to place my shop vac in another room, outside the shop proper, which really helps cut down on the noise.

If you buy the kit, design your layout carefully and order any additional pieces you may need. If memory serves I bought one or two extra elbows in order to get everything the way I wanted it.
    Larry

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

Not sure you'll get the performance you're looking for with a shop vac for this kind of system. As I understand it the air flow isn't great enough to do the job through a piping system like it does on a single tool set up. Maybe someone with more experience will pipe in.
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I dunno... according to some articles I recently seen in some woodworking magazines, 2" just doesn't cut it for major woodworking tools like TS or router. You need 4" duct at least, 5" preffered, with at least 1.5hp DC, to move enough air to dust control effectively. This item looks more suitable for smaller scale work.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A 2" system connected to a shop vac won't perform as well as a well-engineered, full-size dust collection system, no. What it WILL do is collect a lot of the dirt and make subsequent clean-up a LOT faster and easier. IOW, it's not perfect; but then neither is the typical small, cyclone-less DC systems that most us have. Both systems leave a lot to be desired. Yet both are a lot better than nothing.

I didn't mention this before because it seemed too obvious.
          Larry

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Ken Weaver
            Not sure you'll get the performance you're looking for with a shop vac for this kind of system. As I understand it the air flow isn't great enough to do the job through a piping system like it does on a single tool set up. Maybe someone with more experience will pipe in.
            "Maybe someone with more experience will pipe in."
            Pipe in???? You're a sick puppy, pal. ;-D

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

Another option is the one currently on sale at Woodcraft .

I don't have either system, so I can't comment on user experience. An advantage of the Woodcraft version is that the I.D. is larger (not by much). Plus, you get more connectors.

The downside of the Woodcraft system is that the T connectors are not as efficient as the TY connectors of the Lee Valley system, and you get one fewer pipe section. Plus, by ordering the Woodcraft system, you wouldn't get to order other cool stuff from Lee Valley.
              Brian

Comment

Working...