• Show
Clear All
  • PJC
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

Herc-U-Lift in NJ

I was just at the HD in Colonia, NJ and they had 8 (now 7) Herc-U-Lifts for $30. I believe they are discontinued unless you buy the Rigid TS. Now I need to prepare myself for the frustrating assembly as posted in other posts.

Pete
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

I recently scored two of them in the Rocky Mount, NC store after a long search in my local area. The Rocky Mount store still has one left if anyone is looking, as does the Gloucester, VA store.

If you call around make sure you actually get someone to physically check they have them in the store. When I was looking I called this store in Newport News (1.5 hour drive), they said oh yeah we have 19 of them in stock. 19! Being the pessimist I am, I asked them to verify how many they had on the shelf. A few minutes later the tool manager came on the phone and said we don't have any, haven't had any for a while! Geez, that's the kind of accounting that ends up like Enron.

Sorry to hijack the thread The assembly is well worth the effort. Put one on my Ridgid BS in about 30 minutes. Getting one on my JWTS took considerably more time (~2 hours). But it is sweeeeeet once you get it working. Best $30 I ever spent.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• PJC
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • NJ, USA.
      • BT3100

[QUOTE=jwaterdawg]
      Sorry to hijack the thread QUOTE]

No problem....it's not really a hijack in my mind, since you are informing others of where you saw Herc-U-Lifts in stock.

Comment

• PJC
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • NJ, USA.
        • BT3100

Install

Well, so far, so good on assembling the parts, but what type of drill bit should I use to drill the holes into the BT3 frame? I know it needs to be 9/32 in size.

Thanks

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Have 2 of them and really like them. Assembly gets easier after the first one!!
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• mac_daddy
            Forum Newbie
            • May 2006
            • Sugar Land, TX
            • BT3000

HUL on older BT3000 stand

Anyone install one of the Rigid H-U-L on an older BT3000 optional stand? The current setup has those casters installed on the side of the frame to move the stand. Nice if you have 5-7 inches to spare on the right side of the saw, that's fine. But my garage is circa 2000 from KB Homes and I don't have the luxury to have a showcase workshop setup. (If you do, count yourself lucky!)

Comment

• ryan.s
              • Feb 2006
              • So Cal
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by jhart
              Have 2 of them and really like them. Assembly gets easier after the first one!!
              He's definitely right, after putting 4 of them together each one took less and less time. I now consider myself an expert hercu lift assembler....

Comment

• PJC
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • NJ, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by ryan.s
                He's definitely right, after putting 4 of them together each one took less and less time. I now consider myself an expert hercu lift assembler....

Alright all of you mutiple HUL assemblers, what am I doing wrong? I have the lower and upper frames assembled and attached to the legs. However, I don't get how it's supposed to work. My lower frame rides on the floor and I can't figure out how to get it off the floor. I don't know if this makes a difference, but the latch is connected to the U bolt. I have adjusted the frame about 10 different times, but I still can't get the lower frame off the floor. BTW, I have not connected the counterbalance spring yet, however, from reading other posts, it sounds like this is not needed anyway.

Please keep me from the nut house

Pete

Comment

• beetee3
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • The Sunshine State

For the BT you do need the counterbalance spring attached. For heavy tools you can get away without it, but the BT just isn't heavy enough.

Comment

• PJC
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • NJ, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by beetee3
                    For the BT you do need the counterbalance spring attached. For heavy tools you can get away without it, but the BT just isn't heavy enough.

Thanks....part of my problem was I took the saw off the stand to make it easier, but wasn't thinking that the weight of the saw helps lift the lower assembly off the ground.

My new question....Where did you drill the hole for the counterbalance spring? If you follow where the manual says to drill, the BT3 itself covers the hole. I believe a user in another thread drilled the hole at the bottom of the upper stiffner of the frame. It makes sense to me, I was curious if you did the same.

Comment

• beetee3
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • The Sunshine State

I attached mine to a small hole drilled through one of the top rails of the stand. The attachment point isn't critical so long as the spring is able provide the necessary lift. It ain't rocket surgery

Comment

Working...