Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Dream shop, here I come!

Let's get this out of the way first...knock on wood...time to
    get down to business and plan my dream shop.

After two months on the market and $45K reduction in price,
    our house is in escrow and we're making the move from San
    Diego to Maryland next week. I was really hoping the housing
    market was stronger because my dream shop just got $45K
    smaller.

Anyway, we'll still make a hefty profit and hopefully I don't
    have to sink too much into a down payment once we're in the
    new house. I don't even have a house picked out yet, but I
    want to get my wish list together.

I've got a BT3100, planer, router, small drill press, CMS,
    and ROS.

I'm going to be living about 3 hours from the Grizzly store
    and my dad has a cabin in the next town over. I will probably
    be outfitting the new shop with some of their stuff. These
    are on the wish list in order of preference.

Power upgrade for shop space ($200?)
    Band Saw (Grizzly Ultimate?, 14" Lagunas are nice, too) ($500?)
    Dust Collection System ($300?)
    Dark Side Table Saw ($1200?)
    8" Jointer ($500?)
    OSS ($200?)
    Drum Sander--at least a 10-24 ($600?)
    Another router for fixed table use ($200?)

After taking classes at a WWing college for several years, these
    seem like the bare minimum to me now. I got spoiled.

So please indulge me, does this seem reasonable?

Paul
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    After two months on the market and $45K reduction in price, our house is in escrow...
    Cha-ching!

Congratulations on the sale. I'm not surprised you had to drop the price, but am surprised at the amount. Well, you'll likely still have plenty for a shop in Maryland.

A couple of quick thoughts regarding your list:

You'll probably want to at least double the dust collection number. Pipes, gates, flex hose, connectors, fine filters will add up quickly and you'll want all that.

Electric upgrade seems a bit shy, too, depending on what's required.

You may want to budget a bit more for the router, too. A decent multi-base setup is $200-$250 typically, plus you'll need starter kit of bits at $50-$75.

The rest seems reasonable, although one has to wonder about the wisdon of buying a $1200 TS when you've already got a BT!

Good Luck. I'm sure in six months' time you won't have any longings for San Diego weather!

JR
    JR

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Depending on your situation, I'd budget more for the power upgrade. I'm planning on having a 60-amp sub panel and about a dozen outlets put in our attached garage and the estimates run around $1,000 - 1,500.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

first thing I thought was the power was a little low, but then I thought you might be doing it all yourself, and there is little to do.

I put in 100 Amp service to my de-attached garage. Did all the work myself. I've put in over $200.

Also might want to consider:
        Air Filter system
        Good set of cordless tools
        Insulation
        Heating and AC
        Better lighting
        Hand tools
        New work bench (don't think your taking your old one with you)
        Some feature comforts like a TV and a well stocked Frig
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Wood_workur
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Ohio
          • Ryobi bt3100-1

yeah- $4000 in power tools means $4000 in hand tools- planes, waterstones, chisels, ect. (plus gouges if you get a lathe)
          Alex

Comment

• Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

More, more, more, more....it's all reasonable, hold me back please!!!!
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by TheRic
              first thing I thought was the power was a little low, but then I thought you might be doing it all yourself, and there is little to do.

I put in 100 Amp service to my de-attached garage. Did all the work myself. I've put in over $200.

Also might want to consider:
              Air Filter system
              Good set of cordless tools
              Insulation
              Heating and AC
              Better lighting
              Hand tools
              New work bench (don't think your taking your old one with you)
              Some feature comforts like a TV and a well stocked Frig
              Actually I have no idea how much power will cost. I think I'd want the subpanel
              put in for me, but I'm willing to do the rest.

I forgot...I do have the Jet air filter system and YES, I will be taking my
              workbench. The top is a torsion box that is screwed into the base unit
              from below. The base is on wheels so shouldn't be too bad to move. Thanks
              for mentioning the other "shop" items like lighting, etc. Didn't think of those.

I know this is probably blasphemous, but I have enough hand tools for what
              I want/can do now (dovetails, veneer, etc) I need more power!

Paul

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Congrats! You mentioned a planer but weren't specific. If you're taking such a substantial plunge, I'd add a cast iron planer with induction motor to the list....heavier duty, quieter, faster, longer term.

Be sure to include a couple of top shelf saw blades to go with that darkside Griz!
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Keep goin' Paul! I'd forgotten how much fun it is to spend someone else's money!
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Thalermade
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Ohio
                    • BT 3000

Ditto the cost of dust collection. Having started out with a Penn State DC2.5 5 micron bag system, then I upgraded to a cannister - so I am almost to the cost of a cylcone!. With the equipment you are contemplating, you should seriously look at spending more and starting out with a cyclone. Look at the Penn State cyclone for ideas and pricing.

Definitely budget more for electric, especially if you are planning a sub -panel.

Have fun and congratulations.

Russ

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

+1 (again) on the DC and electrical budgets. Actually, $300 might cover the DC system if you used a HF unit with the cheaper Wynn cartridge and only a couple hoses, but if you need a lot of fittings and/or hard duct, the price could rise dramatically.

I'm curious about your $1200 budget for a table saw. Is that for a Grizzly cabinet saw, maybe? If so, okay, but if it's for a high-end contractor-type saw, if it were me I'd spend roughly half that amount on the Ridgid that several members have, or maybe one of the Grizzly models, and free up the remaining $600 for something else.
                      Last edited by LarryG; 06-23-2006, 08:23 AM.
                      Larry

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by LarryG
                        +1 (again) on the DC and electrical budgets. Actually, $300 might cover the DC system if you used a HF unit with the cheaper Wynn cartridge and only a couple hoses, but if you need a lot of fittings and/or hard duct, the price could rise dramatically.

I'm curious about your $1200 budget for a table saw. Is that for a Grizzly cabinet saw, maybe? If so, okay, but if it's for a high-end contractor-type saw, if it were me I'd spend roughly half that amount on the Ridgid that several members have, or maybe one of the Grizzly models, and free up the remaining $600 for something else.
                        what if he has plans to rip some 4x4's as fast as he can?
                        Just kidding

Probably because the cabinet saws are more heavy duty in the adjustments and trunions and stuff, and they usually have better dust collection.

But if it was me, I would look at the laguna TSS, or that new Powermatic...
                        Alex

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Well, I'm glad everyone here is having fun spending my imaginary money. The
                          buyers removed all contingencies on the sale last night and now they have a
                          good faith deposit in the game now. That is a huge relief! Only another 28 days
                          till escrow closes.

Back to business....I have the Rigid 13" planer. So far I don't see a need to
                          replace it.

I love Laguna bandsaws but you'll never see one of their table saws in my shop.
                          I took classes for 4 semesters and every semester, guess which saw was out
                          of commission?

I just want to make the jump to a cabinet saw. I've really enjoyed using the ones
                          at school and I feel so much better doing bevel rips on the left tilting saws.
                          I don't know if I will have dedicated shop space so I should budget something
                          in for a mobile base, too. The PM2000 already has one. That riving knife is
                          nice, too.

Paul

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

8" jointer is going to be more than $500. I'd put a number around $700. You can get Delta DJ-20 clone sold under Grizzly and Shop Fox brands. Shop Fox is around $700 and Grizzly is $750. 3hp, parallelogram beds, killer bang for the buck.

Bump DC budget as well. If fact you may want to look at one of the entry level Cyclones for 8" jointer. How about ..... http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tempestcx.html A lot of suck for the buck!
                            Having said that you could go HF DC, Process Systems 1 micron bags, couple runs of S&D pipe, flex hose and dust gates for around $300.

$1200 TS point is interesting. I'd go lower. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023S The $895 Grizzly G1023S is a heck of a saw. That may be the way to go since it sounds as if your shop is going to be a shade of Grizzly green! Again, I would not spend $1200 on a TS unless I was willing to go all the way and spend the money for a tricked out Uni or PM. I am going to take the $300 saved here and put it to the BS below . . . .

As for the BS, again I would look to Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513 $800 gives you 2hp and 12" resaw. No need to add a riser which is going to cost $50 - $100 on one of the 14"s (for those that even can accept riser. I assume Laguna is Euro style and does not accept riser).

Also, don't forget that if you are in MD and 3 hours from Grizzly, you are probably pretty close to Wilke Machinery as well. Bridgewood BS's are nice.

Also, if you buy at Grizzly in PA you are going to pay 6% sales tax which will likely be close to shipping costs if bought from MD with no tax. THe above mentioned G1023S would have $54 in sales tax versus $89.25 in shipping. Definately not worth the price difference for driving both ways. Of course in person you can see what you are buying, but you still may be better off looking in person and buying online.

Where are you going to be in MD?
                            Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 07-02-2006, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

So much to think about. The house closes escrow in one week so I am
                              counting the days. The size of the shop all depends on the house we end
                              up getting and how much down payment we need. Like my tools, I'm trying
                              to find a house with the most bang for the buck. One house we saw had a
                              new detached garage in the back yard with big loft. Great location, but not
                              a great house. Oh well.

Anyway, I haven't heard too much about Wilke. I know it's in York and I'm
                              at my folks place in Harrisburg right now so not far away. The shop is still
                              several months away so I have time to plan all this out. I'll probably have
                              the tools from Grizzly shipped if they'll send it to the house directly. I have
                              heard some people need to pick it from the shipping depot. If that's the
                              case, I'll use my dad's truck and trailer. He has a cabin about 2 miles from
                              the Muncy store so it won't be an extra trip.

We are going to be around Rockville, MD. Harrisburg is 2 hours away. It
                              would be less if so many of these roads weren't 55MPH. What's up with that?

Paul

Comment

Working...