Clear All
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

router table question

Give me your opinion on this question.... I have just completed a table top
    router station completely enclosed all four sides with hinged flip up top,
    adjustable fence, with dust collection at the rear behind the bit area.
    I was wondering if completely enclosing this Dewalt 616 fixed base router
    is going to run too hot fully enclosed,or do I need to install a small vent hole for the router to get extra air source? I don't want to run the chance of
    causing motor damage due to overheating it. The hole in the tabletop
    (where the bit sticks thru) is 1 1/2" in diameter...is this enough air source
    or not. The dust collection will be connected directly to my shop vac
    that has a 2 1/2" hose on it (a 6hp) model.
    thanks for your input........eezlock
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

The router won't "get extra air" by itself if you cut an opening in the enclosure. You have to push or pull the air into the enclosure. This is most often done with the dust collection system. It's a good idea too, because you're going to get dust in there around the motor, and you don't want it hanging around and getting inside the motor. If it stays clean, it stays mean...
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

When I use a router in my extension table of my BT3100 it is a setup kind of like you describe. The router is in a box and the DC connects to the bottom of the box. The DC moves air down and out and the fan on the router wants to pull air up and out. My 1 hp DC easily wins and I have noticed the motor getting hot. The vacumn does not help the router cool, it hurts the cooling.

The solution I implemented on my router table was to take suction from the router compartment at the top of the lift where the router blower is exhausting. I have an air inlet on the front of the router compartment. This works great.

I would keep an eye on the router motor temperature with your setup. Mine never got hot enough to hurt the router but it was pretty warm to the touch a few times. If yours is similar, you may need to take a break. Burying the motor in sawdust is probably worse, however.

Jim

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

The router table I built from Kreg plans has a 4" dust collection port drawing from under the router compartment and the door has a gap at the bottom that allows air to be drawn in and thus pulling the dust down and out.
        John Hunter

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by JimD
          <snip>The solution I implemented on my router table was to take suction from the router compartment at the top of the lift where the router blower is exhausting. I have an air inlet on the front of the router compartment. This works great.

<snip>

Jim
          Sorry to be thick, Jim but are you saying that the air inlet and the suction ports are opposite each other? Or is the one at the top of the lift and the other at the front of the dust collection compartment but at the bottom? Just being sure here.

edited for clarity
          Last edited by ironhat; 06-22-2006, 02:37 PM.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

Working...