• Show
Clear All
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

The new shop is looking like a reality

For the last year and a half (since I moved into my house), I've been starting to setup shop in the basement. I haven't done anything permanent, I don't even have any decent workbench, other than the kid height one that my dad made for me many years ago, and it's too low for me now, of course. Well, the days of a dusty basement finally look to be coming to a close. We just got an estimate from a contractor who is highly reccommend (a friend of the family and my wife's grandmother have used him) for fixing up the garage. It's a 16x26 detached garage that is leaning pretty noticably. So, the contractor will jack it up, brace it, and straighten it as much as he can. Then once I get it wired, I get a new shop! I might even have a real shop by the end of the summer, or at least the beginnings of one.

And the great thing is that since the garage has the old style sliding doors instead of overhead ones, parking the cars in there regularly isn't going to happen. It's just a workshop and garden storage area, although I think I'll try to put the tools all on casters so that I can take them out to the driveway if I want (well, once I get a hard surface instead of grass driveway) or move them out of the way and squeeze the cars in.

Jim
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Congratulations!

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by jziegler
      It's just a workshop and garden storage area....
      And once you build the lean-to for the garden storage....

Sounds like everything's falling into place for a great shop! Keep us updated so we can at least dream.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by jziegler
        I might even have a real shop by the end of the summer, or at least the beginnings of one.Jim
        Just in time to start insulating an installing a heat system!!!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

Boy, that'll be as much fun as woodworking if you ask me. I'd love to be able to do that. I'm sitting here thinking about all the ideas that you will be able to do. I'm happy for you but it's sooo unfair that it's not happening to me. Well enjoy and keep us posted and pictures would be great.
          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

Congratulations on the shop Jim. Let the fun begin.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

Working...