• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Plans from ShopNotes/Woodsmith

So I went to the library Friday and discovered that the branch I went to has volumes containing every Shop Notes and Woodsmith magazine going back about 10 years or more.
    1 year per volume. I borrowed 3 of the most recent Woodsmith.
    I can go to a local store and buy almost every back issue, but at $8 per and no index to find stuff first, I'll borrow them from the library for free thanks and then maybe buy the ones I really like.

That brings me to my questions.
    Does anybody have a favorite shop cabinet plan or jig from those mags and if so what issue is it in?

What do most of you do with old WW mags? I've only been doing this 8 months and already have over 30 issues. I can see the pile getting very large with no way to find what you want.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I plan to do the same thing I did with all my photography, videography, and editing magazines. Go through them and pull out the articles I want to save. I put those in a 3-ring binder in page holders, organized with tabs. Then toss the 90% of the magazine that doesn't need keeping.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• meika123
      • Dec 2002
      • Advance, NC, USA.
      • BT3000

Originally posted by bigsteel15

That brings me to my questions.
      Does anybody have a favorite shop cabinet plan or jig from those mags and if so what issue is it in?
      Not "exactly" the answer to your question, but this is my favorite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0106.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	779425

Dave in NC
      Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• gad5264
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Columbus, Ohio, USA
        • BT3000/BT3100NIB

I had about 8 computer paper boxes full of old ww magazines and my better half was getting tired of them taking up space. I did what Joe did and went thru all of them and have widdled it down to one box and 3 three ring binders of articles.
        Grant
        "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• dwolsten
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Chandler, AZ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

It'd be so much better if these magazine companies would just sell whole back-issues of their magazines in PDF format, or allow subscribers to get them that way instead of on paper. Then you could store years worth of them on one CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. When you want a particular article, just print out those pages.

WOOD magazine has the right idea with their website which sells individual articles, but it's not enough because they don't have entire back-issues, nor all their articles/projects.

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Good question on what to do with all the old ones. I've been keeping them in a pile, but have been thinking of going thru them and putting the things that interest me on eith a spreadsheet or a data base.
            Guess I need more motivation to get this done though, as it seems to be far down the list of thing needing to be done.
            Probably will just sit in the stack for a while yet.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

I'm doing piles but would like something better - may have to wait until the new shop becomes a reality.
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• brooks
                Established Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by dwolsten
                It'd be so much better if these magazine companies would just sell whole back-issues of their magazines in PDF format, or allow subscribers to get them that way instead of on paper. Then you could store years worth of them on one CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. When you want a particular article, just print out those pages.
                The problem appears to be demographics. The average woodworker is a white male over 65. Many are not computerized enough to make them a market and once you've laid it out in a DVD, there will be lower sales of the paper version.

Of course, it might be the demographics of the magazine publishers which are the real problem. Maybe they're a bit uncomfortable with modern technology.

Comment

• Reboot
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2005
                  • Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Recycle Bin Plans

Looking for some plans for a Recycle bin. It could be 3 section, Bottles, Paper, & house hold. Tks in advance.

Only a Newbie. Yes I did a google.
                  Reboot

Comment

• Tamarack
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2003
                    • Speedwell, TN USA
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Reboot
                    Looking for some plans for a Recycle bin. It could be 3 section, Bottles, Paper, & house hold. Tks in advance.

Only a Newbie. Yes I did a google.
                    Reboot
                    WOOD magazine has some plans for one that looks pretty good, I have it in a binder at home. I'll try and remember to look it up and get back with you.
                    Paul

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • IL, USA.
                      • DELTA 36-675

Here's an idea, make copies of the articles or plans you are wanting to keep and sell the original copies on ebay or craigslist and use the money to buy hardwoods for future projects or another woodworking tool
                      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• dlminehart
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • San Jose, CA, USA.

The PDF idea is a really good one; it would take only a few seconds per page to produce the PDFs at the same time as the magazine pages are being printed to negs or plates. I suspect they don't want to make it easier for people to send free copies of their stuff around in lieu of subscribing to the magazine. If only I had the time to scan the interesting stuff, save it as PDFs, and put them in a database with keywords! I suppose I could keep the paper mags and just make a database of issues, articles, keywords, and perhaps a sample photo . . .
                        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• sacherjj
                          Not Your Average Joe
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

Our copier here at work will scan in to PDF and email it to us. I can see that in the future as ways of handling articles.
                          Joe Sacher

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back
                            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Back when I was collecting guitar magazines, I photocopied the table of contents page(s) from each issue and put them into a loose-leaf binder. This made it a LOT easier to find something by simply flipping through the TOCs in the binder rather than going through the stack of actual magazines. I've not yet done this with my WW mags but probably will, as the stacks are starting to get rather high.

The tear-out-and-file approach works well and saves a lot of space as long as you're sure you know what you will someday want, and won't want. The problem I always had with this system, being an incurable packrat, was wanting to keep too much, "just in case."
                            Larry

Comment

• ejs1097
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

All of those ideas but is alot of work on your own behalf. Time isn't on my side already. I keep a spreadsheet of things I may want to build so I can go back easy.

Family Handyman has there volumes on CD for subscribers but you have to pay $45 or something like that for it at the end of the year on top of your subscription. No thanks, too much money. But I like the idea of WW mags doing that, but cheaper.
                              Eric
                              Be Kind Online

Comment

Working...