• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cain
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Little Rock, Arkansas.

Shop Plan for Half of Garage

Well, I sold my project car last weekend to make room for my new hobby - woodworking. So, I now have half of a two-car garage to build a shop. The wife will use the other half of the garage for parking.

Anybody out there got a plan, pics, or ideas for a shop in half of a typical two-car garage? I didn't get the dimensions before writing this post. The garage has a door that when raised takes up about half of the ceiling. The ceiling is 9'.

Right now I've got the BT3100, a bench top DP, CMS, and Scroll saw with stand. I'm in the process of building a workbench that is approximately 30"x60"' in area. I also have a metal workbench with drawers that is about 24"x50". I'll probably mount the DP on the smaller workbench. I plan to build a small stand for the CMS that will allow wood being cut on the CMS to be level with the larger workbench. I plan on adding a DC system soon (the wife's car is currently covered in saw dust) and possibly a jointer and/or a thickness planer later on. If I have space available, I may build a dedicated router table and take the router off of my BT3100. I'd like to leave the table saw stationary, but everything else can be mobile.

I'll probably build mobile cabinets to the height of my BT3100 so that I can use those for table extensions, etc.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cain
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Wood Magazine

Try this site for ideas relating to shops of a variety of sizes. BTW - your half of the garage is probably about 12'x22', or close enough to that for planning purposes.

JR

Comment

• rickd
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Cain
      ......So, I now have half of a two-car garage to build a shop. The wife will use the other half of the garage for parking.

Anybody out there got a plan, pics, or ideas for a shop in half of a typical two-car garage?
      Cain
      hi cain,

i've got pretty much the same setup you are talking about - one-half of a two car garage. my workshop is only 10' x 18' but i've managed to squeeze in a table saw, jointer, planer, drill press, bandsaw, dust collector, router table, setup table, cull bin and all my other power tools. i still have enough room to work fairly comfortably.

here's a link to see pictures of my workshop that hopefully give you some ideas:

please let me know if you have any questions.
      rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• venkatbo
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Rick,

You are a god-send :-)
        I was trying to figure out how to propely layout my garage shop 10'x18' - and here you are giving us some good ideas just in time...

Thanks much,
        /venkat

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

I have an even smaller space and one key thing is to have wheels on everything such they can be easily moved. They can live close to the walls and be brought out for use.

Jon
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

This came in handy for me:

Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• liqdfire
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2006
              • St. Petersburg, FL
              • BT3100

Originally posted by mschrank

Very nice tool, I had been using Visio.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • The Great Land - Alaska
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Cain
                So, I now have half of a two-car garage to build a shop. The wife will use the other half of the garage for parking. Cain

I have the same problem except that I prefer to say that the wife insists on parking in my workshop. Not much to add to the previous posts except that in the winter I will want both her car and my truck in the garage. Hence, a layout where the BT3100 and everything else is on wheels and can be moved out of the way when the snow flies

Regards.

Comment

• Red88chevy
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Midland, Texas.

If you can get everything the same height you'll be glad when you are running a long board or a sheet of plywood through the table saw. Now I'm wondering if I have any cousins in Arkansas?

Doug Cain

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

If you can manage to 'appropriate' a small corner of the wife's parking area you can increase your shop size slightly by putting the DC in her side. You just plumb the piping through the wall. Works great and keeps the noise out of the shop. I initially had a switch wired through the wall to one side of the DC's recepticle but got lazy about flipping it. I eventually bought the remote switch and mounted the button on the top of my RAS which is sort of central.
                    Later,
                    Chiz
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• ssmith1627
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Corryton, TN, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Ok, you guys have me using the grizzly page now to lay out my shop. Thanks for that link. Very neat. I have to get some real dims to work with though. I have a 2 car sized garage but it has a laundry room out there so they only put in a 1 car garage door.

Has anyone tried emailing those plans to anyone else ? I get the email and it has a link but when I bring it up, it just creates a new room -- it doesn't show the plans that you had drawn. Not sure why that doesn't work right. I had the plans saved and everything before emailing it.

Wish it was a bit more versatile. I didn't see a router table listed in there and I didn't see a garage door either. Still pretty neat for free -- can't really complain.

Steve

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

As I recall, when I layed out my floor plan I just re-used some of the icons for other purposes. As for the garage door, just fake in an appropriate opening. The icons aren't important - just the relationship in sizes are sufficient for your needs. Once you print it out you can pencil in any particulars. I printed two, cutting out the icons of one and juggling them around for spacing changes. Remember, nothing is cast in concrete except the floor so have some fun with it.
                        Later,
                        Chiz
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

Working...