• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Clamp Rack for 1/2" pipe clamp

I just ordered 18 1/2" heavy duty pipe clamp sets from harbor freight. I will be accumulating black pipe for these as needed, but I will need a place to hang them in my shop.

I have seen the pictures of the bessy and bar clamp holders, but not much in the way of making one of those work for a pipe clamp

Any suggestions fellows.
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Hmmm, I thought I at least had a bad picture of my pipe clamp rack.

Here's the general idea: Start with a section of 2x4 that will be the length of the rack. Set it on edge. Take short pieces of 2x4 on edge, and butt them at right angle to the long one, at 1/2"+ spacing, forming the slots for clamp storage. You might want to make them 3/4"+ spacing for if/when you get 3/4" pipe clamps. The length of the short pieces is dictated by how many clamps you want to "stack" in each slot. You'll be limited by the strength of these arms.

On my rack, I chose to only have one clamp per slot, but wish I had at least made it to hold 2.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Eye hooks. These had to be bent out enought to hold 3/4 pipe. If your ceiling is too high, hang the rack from the ceiling joists.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe Clamps.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	779316
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I just screwed a 2x4 to the wall and I hang the clamps vertically from it. They are not real secure but it is a wall I do not walk close to and it has worked fine.

Jim

Comment

• Stick
          • Sep 2003
          • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
          I just screwed a 2x4 to the wall and I hang the clamps vertically from it. They are not real secure but it is a wall I do not walk close to and it has worked fine.

Jim
          Previous owner of my farm was a cabinet maker by trade, and had hundreds of clamps. What he did for his clamps was cut notches part way into a 2x6. He mounted that on brackets so that the 2" face was against the wall. The bar clamps hung vertically. The bars fit the notches and the clamp faces sat on the remainder of the 2x6.

Comment

• WEG
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Nahant, MA.

Stick;

I thought he was from Oberfaffenhofen? Johann moved to Ulm?

WEG

Comment

Working...