• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

BT3 mobile base -- router compartment

I wouldn't say this part of the project is finished, but it's probably not going to get any more finished....

This is the router compartment/table/fence portion of my new BT3 mobile base. I decided against upgrading the router table insert at present -- couldn't make up my mind. I did work on the snap rings of this Rousseau plate so that they come out easily. Now I can change bits above table.

In this shot you can see the sliding door for air intake (for DC) on the router compartment, with drawers next to it for bits, etc:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Comp Drawers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	788854

The idea for the router compartment door just popped into my head one day -- so far it works really well in that it's out of the way when open. RE magnets hold it closed really well, too. (I used a piece of tape to hold it half-open for the picture, otherwise it's either fully open or fully closed.)

Name:	Router Door Half Open.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	788855

Name:	Router Door Open.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	788856

The router is very accessible with the door open, meaning height adjustment from below is not much of a motivating factor for a new router plate:

Name:	Router Comp Inside.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	788857

For the router fence, I decided to try attaching to the BT3 rails. I figured I can always re-work it to clamp to the table top if I don't like it. So far, I think I like it.

Here's the front of the fence (I'll probably add t-track to the front face, but maybe on top):

Name:	Router Fence Front.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	788858

...and the back:

Name:	Router Fence Back.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	788859

It attaches to the front rail using a bolt into a t-nut. But I also added a front plate to keep it square to the rail. I figured this might allow me to use my rip fence micro-adjuster on the router fence.

Name:	Fence Front Clamp.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	788860

The rear clamp is kind of the same idea as for the rip fence. It's based on a piece of Al angle that pulls the rear of the fence down to the rail:

Name:	Fence Rear Clamp.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	788861

Name:	Fence Rear Clamp2.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	788862

Whew! Sorry that got kind of long. Anyone on a dial up connection feel free to send me your phone bill.

Thanks for looking, and looking forward to comments! As with a lot of projects, there are things I'd do again, and things I wouldn't. So if there's anything you're curious about, you might want to ask before you try it yourself!

Regards,
    Tom
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

AWESOME addition Tom, thanks for the future ideas.
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Wow. Nice, Tom. Really nice. I have one question, and one suggestion.

The Q: What are the two large-headed bolt thingies on the infeed side of the router fence? Are they part of the clamping mechanism, somehow ...???

The S: My router fence is very similar. If you've not already done so, make up an alternate sliding fence section for the lower infeed side, with a 1/4" x 1/4" rabbet along the bottom edge. This will allow you to flush-trim edge strips on plywood panels.
      Larry

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Nice work, Tom.
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• lkazista
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Do you guys all use some special camera or something to get shots of your work? Everyones stuff always looks so nice and pretty and mine all looks a bit like junk. I mean Tom, you even make the joke about it getting any more done, like it doesn't look like much, but man, it looks great.

What type of film is in them cameras and where do I buy some?

Lee

Comment

• just4funsies
            • Dec 2005
            • Florida.
            • BT3000

That is just SICK!!! Build one for me, and I'll come get it...
            ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• AlanJ
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Rochester, MN
              • BT3100

You must have been hanging out with Rod a lot... Not a speck of dust anywhere in sight!

Seriously, very nice work Tom. You've put a lot of though into that.
              Alan

Comment

• bigsteel15
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Edmonton, AB
                • Ryobi BT3100

Let's see the whole thing

My apologies if you already posted them, but would you be able to show your entire table with the saw and all.
                I'm about to start planning something similar with the router table part of the BT3 table.
                I should maybe take a look on the search.....
                Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Washington, NC USA
                  • JET

Great ideas/execution. I like the bifold-door idea for the router. I have a couple of questions since I am thinking of upgrading my bt3/router setup.

Would you mind explaining what you are using for DC under the table. I see you have a 2.5 hose for fence collection. Do you have a dust port under the table too with a baffle or a a slanted back (looks like it from the picture).

I like the fence clamping brackets too. Do you have to clamp the front and back down seperately or does clamping the front bracket pull the rear bracket into the rail thus locking it down too? Is that what the Al angle is for? Really curious. Could you post an end-on shot of the rails with the brackets and fence in place? I'd like to blatantly steal your idea and a picture would make it so much easier

Great work!
                  Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

Tom,
                    That is BAD-to-the-bone! A lot of thought went into that baby.
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Wood_workur
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Ohio
                      • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by AlanJ
                      You must have been hanging out with Rod a lot... Not a speck of dust anywhere in sight!

Seriously, very nice work Tom. You've put a lot of though into that.
                      What are you saying about us anti-dustish people?

Very, Very Nice Tom. I really like the hole for dc. Looks great. I wish I had that and the room for it in my shop.
                      Alex

Comment

• Tom Miller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Thanks for all the nice words, guys! I guess I hit the right combination of just slightly out of focus and lighting glare to make this stuff look way better in the pictures. (That's my secret, Lee.)

Larry: The two knobs on front hold that 1/4" ply plate to the front clamp. When they're snugged up, it squares the front clamp to the rail. I figured that doing it like this, I could trade off "squareness" for "slide-ability". It's really not necessary, and the jury's out on its functionality.

There's a good reason your router fence is similar, BTW. That's where I got the idea for the double slider mechanism. Thanks for the suggestion, too. It hadn't really dawned on me yet, but now that I have removeable/replaceable sliders opens up a lot of possibilities.

Bigsteel: No, I guess out of all those pics, I didn't get one of the whole thing. I'll snap a shot and post it shortly....

jwaterdawg: In the 4th picture down, you can see a 4" port at the back of the router compartment on the left side. In back, I have 4" S&D, and 4" hose connecting DC plumbing from the saw, with separate blastgates for router and saw. I also attached a sloping piece of ply on the right rear corner inside the router compartment -- you can barely make it out in the pic.

The front and rear fence clamps operate separately -- nothing as fancy as the BT3 rip fence. I might switch from knobs to cam clamps, though. I can post another pic or two showing clamp details, along with the rear DC plumbing.

Thanks again for the coments, guys! And to Alan and Alex: just so you know, there was a dust-valanche shortly after I finished taking pics -- all that dust that I had to pile up out of the shot.

Regards,
                        Tom
                        Last edited by Tom Miller; 04-22-2006, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Stan
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Tom,

Very nice work, looks like a great setup with accessability, dust control, bit storage etc... Sweet...

But....

You guys with the dustless shops need to keep some for yourself -- apparently it's all showing up in my shop and I have 'plenty'....
                          From the NW corner of Montana.
                          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• boblon
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Florida, USA.

That is one great looking setup.

BobL.
                            "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

As has been said, beautiful work. I have this on the top of my shop to do list, so I hope that I can take some learning from your experience.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...