• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Split system ac and heating for garage?

Got a super deal on a heater for the garage. It is shown here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611766863
    Am thinking that I could put this on ebay and use the money toward a split system ac and heating unit. This would take up very little space in the outside wall and would save me from having to cut a window size hole in the wall for a window unit. Anyone using a split system? My garage is two car and I use one side. Will a 2 ton unit be sufficient and will it be efficient?
    Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • D_Epler
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Doha, Qatar (Persian Gulf)
    • Delta Unisaw (3 HP LT)

I use a Mitsubishi Split-Ductless system and like it pretty well, however you DO need to be aware of a few things:

1) they are NOT cheap
    2) in AC mode the blower runs ALL THE TIME as the thermostat is inside the wall-unit - no separate thermostat. Just a remote to SET the temp and mode
    3) they are NOT cheap
    4) get an extra set of filters so you can put a clean one in and clean the spare one at your leisure - shop dust will clog the coils!!

I've posted links to a couple pics of my inside and outside units from when they were being installed...VERY quiet as inside is just a 110V blower, outside unit takes the 220V via a 4-wire run and then feeds 110V back to inside unit.

Inside unit with cover off:

Mfg's web site:
    Discover the ideal HVAC systems for residential or commercial buildings. Mitsubishi ducted and ductless HVAC heating and air conditioning systems offer increased efficiency and comfort.

Smaller unit to the right is the Garage/shop unit a 15,000 BTU unit for 18 x 20 garage shop - works GREAT:

You will only need a 2.5 - 3" Hole in the wall to feed power and copper to the inside unit - which I liked as I have no window in my garage.

I'd let you know how it affected my power bill, but it hasn't been running for a month yet!

Dave in Tampa where woodworking in August was BRUTAL before the AC

Comment

• wreckwriter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • South Florida
      • BT3100-1

I was looking at those systems last year. The price of the unit itself wasn't too hateful but I was told the install could be tricky and was quoted a price for installation that put the unit out of reach. More for the install than for the unit....
      http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• D_Epler
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2003
        • Delta Unisaw (3 HP LT)

Why the heck would it be "Tricky".
        If you do a normal AC system you need a 220V line fed to the outside unit and copper run to the inside...

The only difference here is that the outside unit then feeds a 110v line inside to the blower along with the copper lines (2 ea).

I had mine hung on the garage wall the outside unit is on the other side of to minimize the copper runs...

The install is pretty much the same - inside unit has a condensate drain.
        Outside unit needs a Hurricane approved pad (DuraClad is approved in our county)

Nothing exotic or special - I'd find another vendor - the mitsubishi site will give you a list of authorized dealers - pick a diamond dealer -- I used Acree Air in the tampa area and haven't been to happy with them - YMMV

DAve

Comment

• scoly
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks for the thoughts and replies. This sounds like a great way to heat and cool without the need for a window size hole in the garage. Looked at the install instructions and it seems I could do all but the 220 which could be done by a friend.
          Will the 2 ton unit be sufficient for a garage?
          Steve
          It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• D_Epler
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2003
            • Delta Unisaw (3 HP LT)

I don't know the "tonnage" but my 18 x 20 garage is being handled by a 15,000 BTU unit - the MSH15 I think..

Dave

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have a 14400 BTU in my 800 sq/ft shop. It just barely can keep the shop cool in the summer. But that actually says quite a bit here in AZ where the summer heat jumps over 110 for weeks at a time. I'd probably be a bit happier with a 20kbtu and have it cycle off now and then but I'm not complaining.
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• scoly
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003
                • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Anyone know how to convert BTU to tons? Strange how ac is rated both ways. My initial thought is that 1.5 ton should be more than enough for a garage. Home ac is only 3 ton.
                Thanks
                Steve

Comment

• onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

Our two story house ~1950 SQFT has only a 1.5 ton AC. Way under sized but other than the hottest days it works. Crappy insulation old unit cheap homeowners. If I bought it i would gut it and spray in foam insulation and get new energy star heat/ac/heat pump. Have to use emergency heat a little so I wish we had gas but from my research heat pumps are the most efficient form of heat.
                  Im sure a 1.5 ton should be way more than enough for even a 5 car garage assuming its insulated. Id get an even smaller unit and spend the rest to add more insulation and make it air tight. Or if it already is spend the extra on an air cleaner to keep the dust out of it.
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• dietz
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2006

1 ton = 12,000 btu's
                    For an insulated structure a 'generic' rule of thumb is 600 sq ft per ton
                    Mini-split units are very nice and pretty easy to hook up. Most come with remotes that act as the t-stat for the unit. There are a bunch out on the market: Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Amana, Carrier, Arcoaire, and NCP just to name a few and they are all 'basically' the same some with more bells and whistles. My suggestion would be to go for a no frills unit (remember its only a garage).

Hope this helps
                    Ted

Comment

• scoly
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks again for the info. Sounds like a 1 ton would be plenty provided I do a little insulation. Attic space above the garage is floored but guess I could cut a hole between each rafter and spray in some insulation. Will only be about 4 inches but better than nothing. Will have to address the outside wall also. Same approach should work. Will post again about this if I ever get it done.
                      Thanks
                      Steve

Comment

Working...