• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Dovetailing Station

About two weeks ago, Tom Miller posted a couple of improvements he'd made to his shop that, although small, made a big difference in the way he was able to work. Over the weekend I cooked up something for my own shop that's in the same category.

I recently bought a Porter-Cable 4212 dovetailing jig and a reconditioned DeWalt 616 router to use with it. With no room in my small shop to give the jig a permanent home, I needed a quick and easy way to set it up for use, as well as to keep track of the various accessories needed for dovetailing -- one of those being the router itself.

What I came up with is simple in concept: a slab of 3/4" plywood with riser blocks, made of the same material, at each end to which to attach the jig. (I used the psuedo Baltic birch plywood from Home Depot: about $15 for a 2x4 panel.) As you can see in the second picture, the base plate is large enough to give the router a place to sit, behind the jig.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DT-001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	788759

Name:	DT-002.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	788760

But it's the small details that make the difference. The alternate template for the dovetail jig stores on a pair of 1/4-20 studs and is secured with small plastic knobs. The collet wrenches for the router are mounted the same way. The plastic Gatorade jar is screwed to the base plate and holds spare bits, guide bushings, router centering cone, etc. The thru-hole in the base plate is sized to fit the bushing on the router; this allows the bit's depth setting to be retained from one project to the next, and keeps the router from sliding around. Lastly, the T-handle used to adjust the edge stops on the dovetail jig stores in a hole drilled in the left (right in this picture) riser block.

Name:	DT-003.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	788761

The final picture shows how the assembly mounts to the fence tracks on my router table, using a 5/16" T-bolt and star knob on each end.

Name:	DT-004.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	788762

With my new dovetailing station, I can bring the entire rig out of its storage place, set it on the router table, tighten the two knobs, plug in the router, and be ready to go in under a minute. Best of all, I know that everything I might need will be immediately at hand since everything is stored right there with the jig itself.
    Last edited by LarryG; 04-03-2006, 02:26 PM.
    Larry
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Schweet!!!!!!

Nice job, yet another one for my list of ideas that I plan on stealing, then claiming to all of my friends and family that I thought of it.

Lee

Comment

• Copper
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Madison, WI.
      • BT3100

Looks great!

Originally posted by LarryG
      Best of all, I know that everything I might need will be immediately at hand since everything is stored right there with the jig itself.
      That would never happen in my shop! I'd pull the thing out and then cuss until I found the piece I was looking for becuase I didn't put it back when I finished using it the last time.
      - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
      and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• greencat
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Grand Haven Mi

Great idea
        Thanks again,
        Mike

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Very nice, Larry. I'm messing with dovetails for the first time right now. This will surely come in handy once I figure out what the heck is going on!

JR
          JR

Comment

• TomBar
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2005
            • Rexford, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Great idea! It is nice to have everything you need at hand instead of wasting a lot of time looking for things.
            Tom

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

Great work Larry! I a little disappointed though--I thought the Gatorade can was for fishing worms

Fishing in the morning, woodworking in the evening--what a life! Wish it was mine.....

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Nice setup, Larry! Nothing like keeping stuff together and ready to go to increase the chance of using it -- or at least to reduce the frustration level.

Is that yet another router? Are they reproducing on their own yet?

Regards,
                Tom
                p.s. I was trying to lower the bar for posting, and now you've raised it right back up! I guess I'm gonna have to show how I use an old soup can for a pencil holder.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Ohio
                  • Ryobi bt3100-1

That is cool. Great idea.
                  Alex

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

Larry,

Nice ideas. I built my own version a month or more ago. Things I like about yours include the idea of on-board storage for the router and bits and wrenches. It also looks nice.

Ideas I incorporated in mine I do not see on yours include a drawer (dovetailed of course) for storage of set-up aides, it is about 6 inches taller which helps me see what I am doing and helps my back, and it has side guides for both the drawer front piece (on the top) and the drawer side (the vertical piece. I find these additional guides to be a big help in getting pieces into the jig correctly. Mine is for my HF dovetail jig but would work for your nicer PC.

Jim

Comment

• Hoyden
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2005
                      • Twin Falls, ID, USA.

Yet another excellent idea. If I ever get the time to put all the Ideas I seen on this site to good use my shop will have to grow.
                      PawPaw

Comment

• Rounder
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Sanford, FL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Fantastic Idea

I have the 4212 and love your idea. I also like the idea of having a drawer under it as it will increse the length of board that can be dovetailed. Now just to find the time to do these projects.
                        George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

• gad5264
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                          • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Very nice addition to the shop. This one is going into my file for future building.
                          Grant
                          "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• venkatbo
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Hi Larry,

I was reading up on some of the reviews on Amazon re this model.. One thing caught my attention was the need for "... proprietary PC 17/32 7 degree dovetail bit and an 11/32" straight bit..." . Do you see this as an issue... THey talk about getting bits being an issue...

Did you review other jigs... If so, could you share your thoughts on those...

Thanks,
                            /venkat

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. This was almost an impulse-type project, made up and refined as I went along, so given that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

A drawer is something I'd already thought about, and is very likely an improvement that will be made in Version 2.0 (it seems like I can't build anything for my shop without thinking about ways to improve The Next One, even before The First One is finished ).

Venkat: this is my first DT jig so I'm not anyone you'd ever confuse with an expert. But FWIW, I've read (but have not personally confirmed) two different reports that Whiteside is now making the necessary bits for the 4212.

I did look at other jigs, at some length, and concluded that while the 4212 costs more than some of the alternatives, it also does a lot more ... and if your intent is to eventually buy accessory templates to expand the capabilities of some of the other brands, it may cost less in the long run to go ahead and buy the 4212 and get it over with. It is a considerably different jig than the old P-C 4100 series, to which most of the other brands are more or less functionally identical. I have called it a "poor man's Leigh" and although I have only begun to get familiar with it, I still think that's apt. Like the Leigh, the 4212 will do half-blind and through dovetails, sliding dovetails, dados, and box joints. The two main differences are that the DT spacing is fully adjustable on the Leigh, but fixed on the 4212; and the Leigh will handle either a 16" or 24" width, depending on model, while the 4212 is limited to 12" (although the 4212's templates can be used in "Keller mode" which effectively means there is NO limit on width).

Bottom line for my money is that if the "normal" limit of 12" is not a problem, and can live without variable spacing, the 4212 is your best overall buy IF you want to also do through dovetails and box joints. If all you want to do is half-blind DTs, the cheaper models from HaFr, Grizzly, etc. are all you need.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...