• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Duct grounding is largely a myth, it won't explode or catch fire. You may get a static shock once in a while. To reduce chances of that ground the machines but forget grounding the plastic ducts, the electrical capacity is so low as to present no real hazard even if it does shock you.
    I would like to add something to this. I lost the link when I had a drive failure, but there was a thing on this that explained the explosion deal. I don't like calling it a "MYTH" because it is not. Home woodworking equipment, just doesn't give the right flow rate, and mixture of combustibles, like the huge shop dust collectors, and grain bins due. It takes a certain volume of air, and the precise mix of dust, oxygen, and spark to go boom! General rule of thumb is, if you are worried about it, run some bare copper wire through your system, connect it through a nail or some source to the outside, and ground it to the cold water pipe. You have a much, much higher risk of having a cutoff, catch on fire, due to burning (feed rate, etc) and starting your bags, etc on fire.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• woodrowB
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006
      • Decatur, GA.

Originally posted by fischermh
      A friend of mine is building a shop next to his house. He is going to run all the dust collection in the floor before he pours the cement.
      Ask him how he intends to clean in out after years of collection or when that inevitable chunk of wood gets stuck.

Comment

• fischermh
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Peninsula, Ohio.

Good question, I will. Thanks

Comment

• fischermh
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Peninsula, Ohio.

He said he would use a snake, but does not expect to have problems with 6" pipe.

Comment

• venkatbo
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Originally posted by rickd
            ... here's a picture of my dust collection setup - it might help you visualize what i'm talking about ...
            Hi Rick,

Thanks for sharing this and your shop layout ideas. I'm following them closely.
            I was wondering if you could create a catalog of closeup shots of the different connections, piping specs used etc..., so its easier to get an idea of what to buy and build the DC infrastructure. May be it could go into the FAQ/articles section.

Thanks much,
            /venkat
            Last edited by venkatbo; 05-17-2006, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• mschrank
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2004
              • Hood River, OR, USA.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by woodrowB
              Ask him how he intends to clean in out after years of collection or when that inevitable chunk of wood gets stuck.
              I think a dryer vent brush might come in handy for reaching inaccesible ducting.

Last edited by mschrank; 12-18-2008, 02:23 PM.
              Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...