• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Anti-Kerby Workshops

I know everyone kids Rod about his pristine shop but this post even upset me:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1
  • BasementDweller
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • PA.
    • nt3100.001

Originally posted by MBG
    I know everyone kids Rod about his pristine shop but this post even upset me:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1

I was just reading that thread too. Keep going some even worse shops come along!! And I thought mine was bad!
    Click. . . Hey, turn the lights back on! I'm still down here!
    http://www.teraflax.com

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I've worked both ways. During my years of doing DOD work everything at work was kept spotless. In my younger years using my fathers workshop I was never tempted to put something away that I could just shove aside. Now I'm somewhere in the middle. I'll let thing gather and then put everything in it's place.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Worst was on page 4, picture of a RAS with no blade guard. Second picture showed a wood stove. Scary thought is that he might actually try to fire up the stove ...Assuming he has enough fingers left to light a match!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• WEG
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Nahant, MA.

Don beat me to it... that Sears RAS was the clincher!

Boy, these things aren't 'shops' they are fire hazards. These guys should be ashamed of themselves to put their families in a situation where hey could find themselves running out of a burning house...or worse! When I see photos like this I'm glad I'm a bit more Kirbyesque than not.

WEG

Comment

• lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

Oh my God! That's all I'll say on the matter.
            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• thestinker
              • Oct 2005
              • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

wow....

I some how feel much better about my house keeping.
              Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

One of the reasons I wanted a dedicated shop was so my wife wouldn't go there and I wouldn't have to listen to her talk about how messy it is. When I am in the middle of things my shop looks at least this bad. I clean up but not every day. I sweep up these days at least once a month or so but I used to deliberately let the sawdust build up because it was softer to walk on. One of the reasons I keep things cleaner now is my son occasionally uses my shop and I don't want him to get hurt.

I clear off the surface of the tool I am using but I have scraps on other tools I am not using at the moment.

My biggest messy habit is keep way too many small scraps. The fact that I find something to do with them pretty regularly keeps me doing it.

Jim

Comment

• 9johnny5
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Orange Park, FL
                  • BT3100

When I see that, my second thought (after safety) is how much money they are wasting by not taking care of their belongings. It's almost criminal to see that they would just go buy something else if it was broken or they couldn't find something.

I think it's most likely just a lack of respect for what you buy, but it's certainly dangerous to live/work that way.

Sure wish I had that kind of $$$ to toss around, tho.
                  not exactly Norm...al

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Heckuva lot of wasted time there, too.

In addition to being fire and safety hazards, shops like those are HUGE time-wasters: their owners will spend way too much of their precious shop time hunting for something they need because it's buried under who-knows-what instead of being in its designated storage space. They don't clean up because they don't want to take the time, but it's a false economy. The few seconds it takes to put stuff back where it belongs is repaid many times over by being able to go directly to that place and know that the tool or supply you need is there, ready when you need it.
                    Larry

Comment

• Woodwerker
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2005

Everything has a place...
                      I agreee, I think alot of people think thier shop is too small, however if they organize they will "find space". I live by the 30 rule, if I dont use it in the last 30 days I store it. One thing that I do is document in a small note pad, where important stuff went. I number storage boxes. When I need a tool that is stored I look in the log and find the box, there it is. I learned this while moving. It helped get the shop together in no time.
                      Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• WEG
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Nahant, MA.

Woodwerker is right...especially as you get older (like me) you find things seem to disappear to places you have no idea of! I use my black marker on a lot of boxes and bins these days...now where did I leave my glasses???
                        WEG

Comment

• Stick
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                          Worst was on page 4, picture of a RAS with no blade guard. Second picture showed a wood stove. Scary thought is that he might actually try to fire up the stove ...Assuming he has enough fingers left to light a match!
                          Here in the land of ice and snow, lots more of us than you'd ever believe use wood stoves in shops. And weld, and use oxy/acet torches, chop saws and grinders and all kinds of stuff that throw sparks like crazy. Not that it's not downright scary, but it IS a fact of life. All-electric heat just isn't an option when it's 40 below for months. You either have wood heat or propane, so there's a flame regardless.

Now the RAS without the blade guard, THAT is scary!

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Wow and I thought my shop was messy!
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...